Chapter Six - 'so it's two separate ways'

“Kath! Hurry up!” Ellie yelled, rattling on the bathroom door angrily.

Inside Kath rolled her darkened eyes. “Mum, I'm being sick.”

“Let me in. I'll be able to help you, sweetie,” Ellie replied evenly.

“No!” Kath shouted hastily. “Seriously, mum, I don't want any bother.”

“But you've got school today!” Ellie called.

“I don't want to go! I'm ill! Don't force me!” Kath exclaimed noisily.

“I'm coming in,” Ellie replied forcefully. “I want to help.”

“Go away!” Kath screeched, ramming herself against the door. Breathing in deeply, she let out a deep sound with she hoped impersonated retching.

Outside, Ellie sighed. “Fine. Just don't be late for school.”

Kath breathed out. She was saved.

Pouring a little bit of water across her forehead in an attempt to look at least somewhat groggy, she stared herself up and down in the mirror. She didn't look at all pregnant. There was only so long she could keep the lie up for.

Being a cunning creature, Kath decided that pillows were the best option – thin, soft pillows that she could build up over time, for this was her only real idea on how to fake a pregnancy. On the way home from school, to Vanessa's shock, Kath spent her last pennies on flat, scratchy cushions which she then intended to smuggle home.

“Kathryn, whatever's going on, I'm ready to listen now. This behavior's not exactly normal, after all,” Vanessa said, her voice even and calculated.

Kath shrugged. “I just need these pillows.”

“Really? Why?” Vanessa questioned, looking into her secretive friend's eyes.

“I don't want to tell you.” Kath replied crossly.

Vanessa shook her head, rich hair tumbling about her shoulders. “I know you're still annoyed at me, but at the end of the day, whether you like it or not I'm your only friend. If you want to tell someone, it's got to be me.”

“I don't have anything to tell!” Kath shouting, turning deep red. If Vanessa knew that she was faking a pregnancy – if anyone knew, for that matter...

“Fine.” Vanessa said, walking in step with Kath.

Huffing a little, Kath changed the subject. “My mum came home.”

Vanessa's eyes widened in a flash. “Really? Why?”

“I don't know,” Kath shrugged harshly. “She had a break.”

“Why didn't you tell me before?” Vanessa asked in surprise.

“It was a sudden break,” Kath replied quickly. “Just a one-off thing.”

Vanessa sighed sceptically. “I don't believe you.”

“You don't need to,” Kath said, giving Vanessa a brief nod goodbye as the time came to turn the corner.

Vanessa shook her head. “Well. Whatever is going on, good luck!”

Kath smiled half-heartedly and continued on her way home. Deciding that three months down the line, she ought to be at least a little bloated, she quickly shoved a pillow under her shirt, tucking it into her neat little school skirt.

Then with the other pillows hidden, she rang on the doorbell.

Ellie answered, a scowl plastered on her face. “You father says we need to talk now.”