The Morning After

She awoke the next morning surrounded in warmth and sunshine. Dal knew she was awake before she opened her eyes, and she knew she was happy from the feeling that bloomed down deep in her stomach.

Warm tingles traced over her arm, and she felt a kiss on her shoulder.

She opened her eyes and rolled over into the very warm and welcoming chest of her friend and confidant. Last night she had wept both in sorrow and in love, and Adonis had kissed away every tear. He didn't shy away at her eagerness at his comfort, and had made her feel assured every step of the way.

It was far from her first time with a lad, but this feeling that grew between them was entirely new. It was made of honest admissions and ugly truths facing the light of day, and being embraced despite it all.

She smiled under his warm gaze, and caressed his face, fresh with prickling hair along his jaw. He smiled under her touch, and turned and kissed her fingers.

"Good Morning, Beasty," she whispered, earning herself a chuckle.

"Call me what you like, so long as I may call you mine."

She froze at the words. They had admitted many things to one another last night, but there was no commitment. The realization of her father's death hung over her.

Adonis sat up, and brushed auburn hair out of her face. "I'm sorry, I'm putting pressure on you."

Dal shook her head, and took his hand in hers. "It's not that, it's just... You're not worried about what happened to my mother and – and Fellinor happening to us?"

Adonis squeezed her hand, and brought it to his lips. He pressed a gentle kiss to the outside. "If anything, my father will be indebted to you. You broke the curse on me and the Eidas by admitting your love for me in my wolf form. The kingdom will prosper because of your love."

"Wait, I don't have to marry you, then?"

A confused expression crossed Adonis' face, then briefly, hurt, before smoothing out into an flat, unreadable expression. His hand stilled in hers.

"If you don't wish to have a relationship with me, then that is your wish."

Adonis turned to move away from her, but she shot out and grabbed his arm before he could escape. He paused, still facing away from her.

She swallowed hard, knowing she still had truths she needed to uncover to him.

"My mother sent me to the castle to wed the prince," she said quietly, "she told me that I would marry the prince and break the curse set on Eidas."

Adonis turned back to her, and his eyes narrowed.

"You little minx."

Dal felt her heart drop lower and lower, into a deepening chasm of pain. She knew she had gone too far. It was only a matter of time before even her one true friend saw that, too.

Adonis pushed her back onto the bed, hovering over her. A wide smile spread on his face.

She blinked. "... You're not mad at me?"

"No," he said, and trailed his nose along her neck, leaving kisses in its wake. He pulled back to look at her, smiling at her flustered expression. "Now I know why you were so interested in Tullvomm all of this time."

She narrowed her eyes at him, which only widened his smile.

"Don't worry, I'll put him down gently," he winked at her.

Dal sighed, knowing she might as well tell him about all of her sins, now that she was here.

"About that, it might be easier said than done. You see, in my endeavors to make my mother's visions come true, I sort of... bewitched him."

Shadow of the PrinceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara