Moth to a Flame

Dal set herself to copying the texts, hiding her face in the manilla pages. She forced a steady breath and was suddenly glad that she always wore her hair down about her shoulders. She was sure the hot burn of guilt was written on her features.

"Prince Tullvomm, how perfectly on time you are," Magistrar Garvis said behind her.

"Good Morning, Garvis. I've come to inquire about the potion we spoke of before."

"Ah, yes."

Dal heard a shuffle of footsteps, one lighter than the other, followed by the clinking of glass. She could picture the potion in her mind's eye - a lovely rose pink concoction whose appearance concealed the true nature and composition. 

Two parts honey

Two parts honey. 

One part rum. 

One handful of dried jasmine petals. 

The blood from a newborn baby's freshly pricked thumb.

The ingredients had seared themselves on the back of her eyelids. Love potions were a dangerous mixture to brew.

"Thank you, Garvis. How long should it last?"

"It depends on how careful you are with the dose. I would not recommend more than three drops in a glass of wine, or two within a plate of food fully consumed. Any more, and you risk obsession rather than love, which is a fair bit messier in my experience."

"Your experience?" The Prince's voice held some amusement.

"The best cooks partake in their creations, Prince."

The two laughed, twisting Dal's stomach into knots. How could the two be so cavalier about tricking an innocent girl into falling in love with the prince? What they planned to do was no better than the most base assaults; to force the prince's will in order to get what he wanted. To trick an innocent into his bed for some superfluous gain.

But wasn't that exactly what she intended to do to him? 

Dal's stomach twisted relentlessly. No, she was better than the Prince. She did what she must for all of Eidas. 

At least, that's what she repeated to herself until the Prince left the Magistrar's study.

An uncomfortable silence came settled after the Prince left. Dal copied her pages, and the Magistrar whispered incantations. She wanted to ask him how he could do such a thing to the innocent Princess Aramaia, but she knew she had no right. Not when he held one of her secrets in his hands and did not damn her for it.

Finally, she could not help broaching the subject.

"Why did you brew the potion, Magistrar?"

"Because my Prince asked it of me."