Mother Marian's Request

Rising the next morning was a little difficult for Dal. Her bones ached from standing in the streets for so long. Her brother had already gone to the market with their father today.
For a moment she was pleased that her brother was their father's favorite. At least it meant that she got to sleep in for a little longer.

She dressed quickly and readied herself for the day. It was unlikely that they would have customers, but she still looked forward to opening the small apothecary shop with her mother.

Pulling on an old shabby dress, and lacing up her slightly oversized boots, Dal felt a little more ready to face the day.

Dal snuck into the back of the apothecary, trying not to disturb her mother. She seemed to be highly engrossed in reading the bones this morning. Her mother's dark hair was braided back today, Dal could see that her eyes were closed, a peaceful expression set up on her face. Her mother's light hum filled the air.

Dal waited until her mother's eyes landed on her to approach.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Dal asked.

"No, there's something else that we need to do today. Something important."

"What is it? "

"Today, I will take you to see mother Marian."

"Mother Marian? Has she called for you?"

"No," her mother sighed, turning from placing the bones on a shelf, a serious look setting upon her face, "She has called for you."

Dal blinked. But why? What would the Seer want with her?

"Did I do something wrong?"

Her mother's expression was unreadable. 

"No. I have."

Not sure how to respond, Dal simply nodded. She watched her mother tidy a few things in the shop before standing in the entrance and beckoning to her. It seemed that they would waste no time in responding to mother Marian's request.

Her mother locked the shop doors, and moments later they were on their way. Her mother took hold of her by the arm, weaving them in and out of the travelers of the city. Most she recognized as neighbors. Though it was a large city, it was not uncommon to see a few familiar faces as you go about your day.

When they finally came with my mother Marian's house, Dal found herself slightly out of breath. Mother Marian's house sat between the city church and a high-class inn, only a few miles from the castle Gates. It's high walls and dark stone contrast against the life bustling around outside.  It was not often that Dal came so near the castle gates.

Dal wondered what could be so important as to warrant such a request from such an esteemed member of the noble class. Mother Marian was the best Seer in Eatrahan, the capital city of Eidas. She oversaw all magical business within the city.

Not to mention, she was the king's mistress.

Her mother tugged Dal forward, Dal's feet shuffling along on the paved stone pathway leading to a townhome. They stopped short of the door.

Dal's mother turned to her, looked over her attire, and brushed off a crease in her dress. Still wearing a small frown, her mother turned back to the front door, raised a weathered hand, and knocked firmly three times.

Silence descended, and they waited together for someone to answer. The silence dragged on, nearing into uncomfortableness until finally, the door flung open. The pair were met with a wrinkly faced, prim attired, older-looking man. He appeared to be a doorman of some kind, with his back straight as an arrow.