Predator or Prey

"You've got to be kidding me," Dal muttered, shaking her head.

"I'm afraid I'm not. Now at least you can put one of your new dresses to use," The Magistrar looked far too amused.

"But why would my presence be necessary at such a function? I haven't met anyone yet. It's not like anyone would notice that I wasn't there."

"That is precisely the reason that you will be attending. No more of this skulking about the castle in the shadows - it is time for proper introductions to the lords and ladies that reside here. It is time to be introduced to the King and Queen, from whom you receive patronage."

Dread welled in her stomach. The last thing that Dal wanted to do was attend some sort of fancy hunting party with nobles. She crossed her arms and leaned against the wooden table, bracing her weight. She avoided the Magistrar's amused stare as she pondered her thoughts.

After her very forward actions with the Prince weeks ago, she'd withdrawn herself to the Magistrar's study for the last few weeks, knowing that she'd need to tailor her courtship of the prince carefully if she wanted to win his long term favor. She knew she'd secured some part of his interest when new dresses had arrived to her rooms the following night. 

The Prince would attend the hunting party, and so she knew it was a good thing that she would be attending. The more time she could get with the prince the better her chances were against Princess Aramaia.

She wondered if the Hound Keeper would also be attending the hunt. 

"I suppose if I have to go, I will," Dal shrugged, "When is the hunt scheduled?"

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? Isn't that rather hastily planned?"

"Not really. It's been planned for weeks now."

Dal narrowed her eyes at the old man who seemed to be busying himself about the study, avoiding her own gaze just as she had avoided his.

"You knew about the hunt for weeks, and didn't tell me until today so I couldn't find a way out of it, didn't you?"

The Magistrar's secretive smile was her only response, but it was reply enough for her. 

"Naughty old man," she muttered, unable to keep the smile from her own face, and hearing it in her voice. 

She shook her head and shuffled to stand beside the Magistrar, who was in the middle of preparing items for potion mixing. 

Dal eyed the ingredients, realizing that the ingredients for another love potion were being sparsed out by the Magistrar's wrinkled hands.

#

Dal had to give it to the nobility of Eidas. They certainly knew how to throw a good party.