We're all Lost Dogs in the End

When Dal awoke some hours later into the night, she cursed herself for falling asleep without having gotten dinner. Her stomach growled frightfully, further irritated by the soreness and ache in her arms and back from scrubbing soot from the Magistrar's fireplace. Upon thinking of her new instructor, she cursed herself again.

Why did she agree to any of this? Then again, there wasn't really a time when she'd agreed to it in the first place. It landed in her lap and was forced upon her. 

Dal stood and shook her weary arms, and chose to wear her soot-stained dress out. It was unlikely that very many people were awake at this hour. No need to worry about impressing anyone. 

She was just an apprentice, anyways.

When she burst from the large doors to her room, the two guardsmen visually jolted in surprise. She wondered how long it had been since the last apprentice had lived here.

She nodded to the two soldiers, who stood ramrod straight and looked past her as if she weren't even there. 

Dal wanted to ask for directions to the kitchen, but her pride froze the words in her throat, and she marched past them without a backward glance. 

She took the stairs back down, and then the next two lefts, then a right, to follow the circular halls. She wandered forward, and found herself in an unfamiliar hallway, the walls dimly lit with torchlight.

Had she missed a turn?

Dal continued down the curving hall, eventually finding herself at a dead end. She had definitely taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way. How did she get so lost after just making two or three turns?

"By the eyes above! Can't anything about this horrid day go right?"

She sighed, turning on her heel, and froze.

Two dark eyes peered at her from shoulder height. Ebony locks the color of darkness and death showered around an all too familiar maw. At full height, the beast could look her in the eyes. Dal surmised the creature had to be near two hundred pounds, twice the size of a normal male wolf.

 Dal surmised the creature had to be near two hundred pounds, twice the size of a normal male wolf

A barely perceptible growl thrummed from the dog's chest. No, 'dog' was far too lowly of a term for the beast. Dal could only ever call this thing a beast, for no other term suited him.

Dal gulped.

"There now, beasty," she whispered, "I mean you no harm. I just came out for a bite to eat. I-I missed dinner, you see, and I got lost around here with all of these halls. Who even needs this many halls anyways-" Her words trailed off as she realized she was trying to explain herself to a wolf.

At her words of dinner, the dark-haired beast tilted its head, as if her words had suddenly caught his interest. 

An idea popped into Dalia's mind.