When Love Doesn't Take

She woke up three days later, her body shaking. No, someone was shaking her.

Dal's eyes sprang open, and she met the concerned, wrinkled face of Magistrar Garvis, peering down at her through cloudy eyes

In the corner of her gaze, she caught sight of a dark mass and an armored guard at the foot of her bed. The blonde one. She was suddenly very glad that she had at least been able to shift to her second face before falling asleep after the hunting party.  What was his name again? She struggled, knowing that the knowledge should come quickly, and yet it evaded her for some reason. 

The dark mass drew closer, but she struggled to focus her eyes on it.

"Eyes above, you gave us a fright, girl," The Magistrar seemed to be looking at her oddly, as if he was trying to tell her something through his eyes, "I told you skipping meals to write notes would wear you down!"

Dal blinked slowly, mulling over the wizard's words. What was he trying to tell her? It was hard to focus. She was so, so cold, and the lights around her were far too bright. 

"No more missing the dinners, are we agreed?" The Magistrar asked, a sharpness in his eyes.

She nodded slowly, deciding that the safest thing to do would be to just agree. "Of course, Magistrar."

The dark mass was suddenly on the bed beside her, and she smiled when she realized who the third guest was.

"Hello there, Beasty," she murmured, reaching a hand out to the wolf before she could think better of it. 

Surprisingly, the large wolf leaned into her touch, allowing her to groggily mess his great mane.

Magistrar Garvis turned to the guard at the foot of her bed and nodded dismissively to him. "Run to the kitchens and bring Dalia back a plate of food from dinner, Hennisen." 

That's right. Hennisen. How could she forget?

Magistrar Garvis turned back, eyeing the dark dog beside her who settled in close, bedding down as if to sleep for the night. 

"I would send the dog away for you, but I don't think he'd listen."

"I rather like Beasty," she whispered, her voice coming coarse.

Magistrar Garvis eyed the dog, and seemed like he wanted to say something, but held back. Instead, he pulled up a chair and sat beside the bed.

"You will have to be careful, Dalia. Working too hard can have... unintended consequences."

She nodded, able to grasp the meaning from his words even through the code that the old man spoke it. It didn't escape her that he still spoke in code in front of the black wolf.

"He's seen me, you know."

"What do you mean?" Magistrar Garvis leaned forward, his eyes narrowing at her.