The Shadow

"Did you see him?" Her younger brother pestered.

"Perhaps I did. Would I know if I had?"

"You wouldn't miss him."

"Well then, I guess I haven't seen him."

Dal shook her head, scratching at the dirt layered on her face. They'd been waiting here in the streets for hours trying to get a glimpse of the giant of a man. They'd heard cheering all up and down Bridgewater Avenue near the port for most of the morning. Granted, they were a few streets back, but shouldn't he have been crossing by here by now?

And then Dal saw him.

"Dal! There he is!" Theikuth exclaimed. She pulled her brother close to her side.

Looming a full head above the people in the street, a tall fire headed man strode upon the street. His shoulders spanned wide enough that he could probably carry a boar on his back without a problem. A deceitfully youthful face met the crowds on Bridgewater Avenue, the street of her birth.

The crowd cheered around them, and Dal's heartbeat quickened. It was now or never.

"Prince Tullvomm!" She called out

"Prince Tullvomm!" She called out. She had to get his attention.

Dal waved her arms wildly among the crowd gathered. Dal was not a large lass, but she liked to think she was taller than most. Even still, there would be no pushing her way to the front of the streets to meet the famed man. Burly men twice her side made it difficult to even get a good look at the prince.

She stood in the middle of the crowd. The moment was passing, and Prince Tullvomm was soon going to pass beyond her reach. She would never get to touch his lucky skin - the skin that the gods had blessed themselves with the strength of ten Ox. To touch the skin of a man blessed by the gods was to be of immense luck, and right now that's exactly what she needed.

The Prince walked calmly, tolerating the caresses of strangers in the street.

By some stroke of luck, Dal was pushed forward at just the right moment, and she broke through the crowd. She found herself at the front of the crowd.

Red hair the color of fire glistened in the sunlight. The young prince wore his darker scruff tidily, and it contrasted well against his pale skin. His high cheekbones and deep-set eyes gave him a secretive appearance, and Dal didn't doubt that this man carried the blessings of the gods.

For the briefest hair length of a moment, his blue eyes settled on hers. Dal wondered if any moment could possibly equate to the one she was living now, watching the red-haired giant come within an arm's length from her. The royal family rarely left the confines of their castle on the hill, and they certainly had never come to Bridgewater Avenue, before.

Dal reached out belatedly, realizing that she was too slow to touch the skin of the renowned Prince of Darkness. The heir to the kingdom. The one who would rule all of Eidas by this time next year.