10

The sight of my front door blown in, metal debris all over the paved garden, makes me wince and tug on Eric's sleeve. "Why did they not just break one of the windows?"

He side eyes me, hulking along my suitcase and bags. "They're made from the same glass as the dome... impenetrable." Freeing himself from my grip on his hoodie, he tilts his head in the direction of his house. "Hurry up, my hands are turning blue from carrying your shit."

I huff. "I did say I'd take my bags."

"Just hurry the fuck up."

I follow him through the front door, narrowing my eyes at him when he tosses my bags on the floor, probably smashing the contents of my make up case. Well, it's not like I wear it often. Plus, they don't exactly stock much here, so I try to savour as much as possible before they go past their use-by date.

"Why do you have dog bowls?"

I've been in Eric's house plenty of times, usually to borrow food when I've over-binged, and I've never spotted them before.

"I'm training the new pups," he says bluntly, walking up the stairs. "You already know that I help out with the animal unit. There have been a few litters. I was asked to take in two, and they come next week. Is that an issue for you?"

Following behind him, I shake my head. "No, I love dogs. If I'm still here then I could help you train them, I trained Bella." I frown at the back of his head when I hear him scoff, ignoring me.

Bella was our staffy, a beautiful pup who had a weak heart. Just before she turned one, she passed away in my arms. Even though it's been a few years since that horrific day, I still feel a sting in my chest.

"What kind of dogs are they?" I ask, watching him drop his head back in frustration, staring at the ceiling. "What? It's only a goddamn question!"

"One is a boxer, the other is a Belgian shepherd," he replies, bluntly.

I know I'm about to make him even more annoyed. I smirk to myself as the words fall from my mouth. "What will we name them?"

"We?" He releases a breathy laugh. I swear I spot him fighting a smile before shaking his head and making his way down the hallway. An audible sigh drops from his lips, and he leans his shoulder against the steel door frame. "They're my dogs, not yours. Got it? And you can sleep in here. Don't touch anything, I mean it."

"Have I ever told you that I hate you?" My snarky tone makes him shrug, and I raise a brow as I look around his bedroom, half trying not to grimace, the other half trying not to flush at the manly scent. I feel my face paling as images of him... "God. Please tell me you changed your sheets?"

The laugh that erupts from his chest makes me roll my eyes, and he marches in, stripping his bedding, replacing it with a fresh set of grey linens. He nearly shoulders me out the way as he passes, stopping to glance down at me. "I'll have my tablet unlocked so you can watch shit on it, but you can't use the communications to contact your pain in the arse friend. In the meantime, stay out of my way while I work."

Nodding, I look around the room once more. "Where will you sleep?" I look at the small black couch across from the bed and point at it. "Are you sleeping there?"

Eric chuckles once more, but it doesn't make his eyes light up. "You can see me from your window." He gestures to my house with a tilt of his head, my full bedroom and bathroom on display. "You know that I have company often, unless you want to watch?"

"No, thank you," I reply, screwing my face up. I glance over at my place again, only a stone throw away. "Could you see everything from here?"

"Unfortunately."