2

My dad strides towards me in a three-piece suit, his overly priced watch jiggling as he lifts his hands in exasperation. "When we call you, we expect you to pick up! You need to go pack, Danielle." He points a thumb to the apparent stranger next to me, snarling at him. "Say goodbye to Robert."

"Robbie," my boyfriend blurts out. "My name is Robbie, Mr McClure."

He shuts his eyes and runs a palm down his face. "Eric, make sure he leaves. We don't have time for this shit. Pack or you'll go with nothing."

"Where? And no, Eric, don't you dare lay a finger on him!" I stand in front of the buff guard as he makes his way to remove Robbie, scowling down at me as I refuse to move. "What the hell is going on?" I look around at the group of people, raising my brows at my mum. "Huh?"

With her bottom lip between her teeth, she wipes her mascara from under her eyes. "Something bad is happening, dear. But your dad has created something that will protect us."

I narrow my eyes at her, a mixture of worry, confusion, and impatience filling me as I turn to look Eric up and down, grabbing Robbie, and making our way to the double doors. "Why won't you tell us what's going on?"

"Stop being difficult, Dan," Eric says, huffing. "Listen to your father, go get your things."

"I swear to God, Eric, stop telling me what to do," I warn him, clenching my fists and gritting my teeth. "If you keep—"

"Enough," Dad roars, silencing the room. "We have two hours to get out of here, grab your fucking things and get your disobedient arse into that car or I'll make you!"

Robbie tugs my hand back, trying to get me out of the room. "Let's pack your things, Danielle. I'll go home."

"No," I snap, turning to my dad. "He comes or I stay."

Rolling his eyes and staring at his watch, he huffs before nodding. "Go."

Robbie stands in silence as I pack my clothes, mainly hoodies, leggings, onesies, a handful of dresses, and the odd pair of jeans. I'm not as stylish as my mum wants me to be, but I'm comfortable and Robbie still loves me, so why should I be someone else?

"What was your mum talking about, something is bad happening, but they can protect us?" he asks, leaning back on my bed, perched on his elbows, legs parted. "She seems worried, like really worried. Do you think it's something to do with that restricted area next to the River Clyde?"

I shrug. "I'll send Ainsley a message and ask if she's heard anything from her parents."

Me: Any idea what's going on?

We've been best friends forever, growing up with our mum's close. It was the perfect match for us since we're basically the same person. She hates the lavish life like I do, has a girlfriend who's not from a rich family, and gives her parents the finger regularly.

Well, we're nearly the same person. I would never curse at my parents or at anyone, and I'd definitely never flip them off the way she does, although I've come close when I clash with Eric, he drives me insane. Maybe I should take a leaf out of her book?

However, she's in the dark like me. Her parents keep calling her, texting to please come to the McClure's, and she just keeps ignoring them. She eventually gives in when I tell her I'm packing, saying she'll meet me wherever we're going, my last message fails to send, twice.

Although Ains' parents give her a hard time, they never dig into her personal life, or... her sex life. I wish mine were the same; I remember my mum sat me down and asked if I'm sexually active with Robbie. I was nineteen and had already been with him for four years. What did she think?