5

"Okay. Okay... But what did you say back to him? I mean, if I swung that way, I'd be pretty turned on too. Eric is a good-looking lad," Ainsley says, making my eyes roll as we both walk alongside the edge of the dome. The tide is in, so the water is splashing off the thick glass next to us. "And what did Robbie say?"

"Ainsley, enough." I sigh, giving her a stern look. "I do not get turned on by the thought of him seeing me; he's vile."

"But can you admit he's hot?" she interrupts, stopping at the vending machine and scanning her wristband on it so a packet of crisps falls out. I have no idea why she eats them; they taste like cardboard.

"God, no," I snap, raising my hands when she tries to continue. "And Robbie barely even reacted to it, he was too busy swiping on his stupid tablet."

Her eyes widen. "No way! You got one of those? I thought your dad said there were only three so far. Is it like a normal tablet?" she asks, shoving a handful of crisps in her mouth.

"Not really, they just look like slabs of glass with a screen. It's only used so far for shifts, security, and communication," I tell her, opening the door for her to walk in first, the children in the nursery running around screaming. "Only my dad, Eric, and I have one. But he's working on a way to get them to everyone."

"Cool," she says, nodding her head. "So, what are you doing tonight?"

Spotting my mum in the back of the room, reading to a circle of kids, I smile and wave. She waves back with a bright smile, and the children copy her.

I turn to Ains, both of us waiting for my mum to finish the book. "Robbie has the night off, so we are going to my parents' for dinner. I just need to tell my mum that Dad wants to start earlier than planned."

"Will Eric be there? He's supposed to be with you now, right? You dodged him again?"

I glare at her, crossing my arms. "Yes, yes, and yes."

"And he saw you flicking your bean..."

"Stop," I say with a stamp of my foot, looking around us to the teachers and kids minding their own business. "He will be there... stop smiling... and it would be great if you were a little more supportive and not getting a kick out of my crappy luck."

"Someone needs to be shagged senseless!" she sings, dragging out the words with dancing eyes, making me cringe, checking that no one can hear us. "I'm sure Robbie will feel comfortable in the presence of your super-hot, and probably hung, bodyguard. Wait, did you not say it was b—"

I raise my hands in defeat, cutting her off. "Ainsley, I swear to God, keep your voice down. Stop making it a thing, okay?" I groan, stepping out of the room as I see Mum packing up, Ains following close behind. "Eric is always there, so the awkwardness is non-existent. We both saw him this morning and there was nothing, not even a twinge of anger from Robbie."

"Maybe Eric wants to fuck you," she says, her eyes lighting up. "It's not like you're ugly."

"Stop!" I exclaim, pressing my palms to my ears. "Stop that. No, he doesn't. He specifically said he wouldn't resort to me." I see her raise a brow at me, biting down on the corner of her lip. "And I have a boyfriend. Hello! Robbie, you remember him?"

"Whatever, it's not like Robbie is ruffling your feathers," she says, smiling at my mum as she closes the door behind her. "Hi, Mrs McClure."

Mum scoffs. "I've known you since you left your mother's womb, for Christ's sake, Ainsley. Call me Elaine."

________________

"Why don't you want to go? My dad changed it to today for you."