32

Waking up the next morning, I stretch, my spine cracking so loud that Gareth glances up from his zombie book with a raised brow. He goes back to reading without a word, and I try not to wince as I stand.

He notices.

I narrow my eyes, warning him not to say what he's thinking while I make my way to the bathroom. The water beats down on my overly sensitive skin while leaning my head back, feeling the drops on my face, thinking about the way Eric's rough hands had been all over my body less than twenty-four hours ago.

Me, Danielle McClure, had pounced on my ex-bodyguard during a fit of rage, slept with him, and now all I can think about is how much I want to do it again.

My skin is littered with even more marks from his fingers digging into me and his mouth biting and sucking at the flesh of my throat.

He needs to stop eating me.

I wonder what that would feel like...

Shaking off my intrusive thoughts of his head down there, I get out of the shower, noticing my extremely cheerful reflection. I'm not looking at the evidence from Eric's mouth that I'll need to cover up, again, but the glow that has taken over my features, the way I'm fighting a grin, appearing more alive than ever.

Maybe the intense butterflies I feel are from finally having sex with him; the kissing so hard that my lips are still raw, or the messages that we've been sending since last night. I mean, he isn't exactly being sweet with me, just casually sending empty threats of fucking me to death if I keep being sarcastic and the name-calling followed by sexual innuendos that have me giggling.

Gareth has given up asking me what I'm smiling at.

I can tell he's holding back a lot of questions, so I'll take his silent looks instead of having to answer things I really can't. When he'd seen those messages between Eric and I, the flirting, the one he had spotted about being fucked too hard, I managed to talk them down as if that's just the way we speak to each other. But I know Gareth doesn't believe me. I just hope, for his own protection, he doesn't say anything.

By the time I dry my hair and get dressed for my shift at the school, Gareth has breakfast set up at the table. He's silent, all that can be heard between us is the crunching sound of our chewing.

"I have my final fitness test later this weekend," he finally says. I nod slowly, not peering up at him. "Are you going to stop being awkward and quiet?"

I frown at my cereal. "I'm not. You are."

He laughs, causing me to look up at him with a raised brow. "So what if you fucked him? I'll keep my mouth shut, alright? The last thing I need is my boss hunting me down." Then he tilts his head at me. "You have the most ruthless guy in the dome wrapped around your finger, and you haven't been smiling as much as you were last night from a few messages." Gareth takes my bowl, standing. "So cheer the fuck up."

My annoying new bodyguard says the last words with a smile, and it makes me fight against my own. I've been terrified of what his intentions would be with this information, but he does have a point, Eric would skin him alive if he even attempted to tell anyone.

By the time we get sorted and leave the house, he's back to chatting away, explaining his fitness test and what it entails. I'm fairly glad I'm not in his position, having to attempt an assault course after running for over an hour, followed by a beating by Eric himself. I have no doubts that he'll enjoy the final part, and that it has been specifically added for Eric's own pleasure.

Orla and two other kids cheer as I walk in, jumping up on me. "Guess what, Danielle! Mrs McClure said we might go on a school trip tomorrow!" the excited girl shouts, taking my hand and pulling me to the carpet with the other Primary two kids. "Will you come as well?"