47

My mind is reeling as I absorb his words. But my first question is rushed out as I ask, "Did someone take Orla?"

"Either they have or they're about to. Eric sent the order out a few hours ago. I can't access footage of the manor for some reason."

My blood runs cold. "Where are they taking her?"

"Here," he replies quietly. "He's on a call with a few of them now, discussing what to do with her."

Eric is not part of them. I refuse to believe it. As I sit on the bed, listening to Robbie try to dehumanise my boyfriend, I clench my fists, ready to lose my shit with him. "Why are you doing this? What are you getting out of it?"

"I'm trying to help you!" he whisper-hisses. "Can't you see that? All I've been doing for the past year and a half is making sure you're safe. But he's gone too far. He's being reckless and Mark is starting to lash out."

The name tastes like poison on my tongue. "Mark is the monster."

"Believe me, I know." He types on something, sighs, then says. "Fuck! I have someone working with me on the inside of the manor, who thinks they already have her, Danielle."

"I need to tell Eric," I say, getting up from the bed.

"No!" he yells, and I stop in my tracks, my entire body shaking. "Are you not fucking listening? He's the one orchestrating this. Who else can turn off the entire system? Eric is the only one who can grant access to others. The two people in your house? That was Mark and another guy called David, he wanted them to scare you enough that you were placed in his care for good. David's dead now, because Eric fucking set him up when he came for me, because he wanted out, so it looked like he was doing you some sort of honour."

"You better stop," I say with as much of a warning as possible. "You have no idea what you're talking about."

"Something bad is about to happen." I can hear the shake in his voice, the terror of how petrified he is. "I need to take you somewhere safe. We can try to get Orla out with us, but you're days away from death, Danielle. I can't stand around and watch him do this to you."

"Do fucking what? I'm going nowhere with you," I retort. "Are you crazy?"

"Will you listen? If you don't, then they'll come for you. Eric already agreed. As soon as your dad is out the way, and Mark gets you, he is in charge of the entire dome, the leader. I have to protect you, Danielle. That's all I've been doing."

"God. You are crazy." I roll my eyes. "Eric would never do that to my dad, or me! He won't let anything like that happen. You need to stop, Robbie. You're being a jealous ex and I'm hanging up."

"No, wait." He huffs, and I have no idea why I'm still listening. "Think, Danielle. Do you really know him? He hates Gareth. He hates Richie. The psychopath rounded up everyone that survived his massacre years ago to go against your dad, because he wants power. Eric is not on your side. He made every order, told the guys here when to go to your house, when to shoot Gareth because he refused to side with us. Have you not noticed he's made no move to arrest anyone for that attack? Even though he has the bullet and enough evidence? The only reason you're still there with him is because Mark knows he'll keep you safe." My heart isn't beating, no breaths fall from my lips as Robbie continues. "But I can't stand back and watch him do this."

My throat twists as I reply, "You're lying."

"Danielle," he sighs my name. "Who caused enough shit so you'd be closer to him? Richie trusts Eric like a brother. He was supposed to save you when you were drowning, to win fucking points, and Gareth found out about the entire mission and reached you just in time because he failed."