41

We had crossed a line that never should have been crossed.

His touch against my skin no longer makes me wet between my legs, no longer takes my breath away and causes sounds to leave my lips. Not even twenty-four hours ago, the same hands fastening my body armour were all over me, and I loved every second of the rush that flowed through me while they did.

Now the touch from Eric feels cruel.

It represents everything I had and lost. It represents pain, like his fingers alone are buried in my chest, preparing to rip my heart out and squeeze it dry. No matter how many scenarios that have run wild in my head, of my telling him, they all end the same.

Death.

Heartache.

An inevitable downwards spiral.

If I listen and abide by what I'm told, I can keep everyone safe without worrying about the consequences.

I can keep Eric safe. Orla. My parents and Belinda. Ains, Gareth, and their unborn baby. The dogs. And all the innocent people within the dome.

But as a result, I have to lose him.

He's silent, barely giving me any eye contact while we put on our heavy protective gear, readying for the town meeting that will most likely end in another riot. But Eric and my dad demand that every single person within the dome needs to attend, that it's not optional.

The dogs are lying in the bed, tails wagging while they watch Eric circle me, making sure everything is in place and secure. He hands me the headgear, turning and walking out of the room with no words.

My eyes find the camera, and I wonder if they see my every move, watching us at all times. Surely, if it's just one person, it would be impossible to constantly spy? Or are there more, and they take turns?

What kind of sickos are they?

I shiver as the message comes to mind; about how many cocks I can take before the light goes out in my eyes.

If he knew that they were threatening me this way, he would go berserk. I can guarantee that he'd rip apart the entire dome and bring them to their knees at my feet.

"We need to go," Eric calls from downstairs, his tone clipped and full of irritation. "Now, Dan."

I pat the dogs before making my way down, seeing him avert his eyes instantly to the ground. I hate this. I hate what I'm doing to him. I wish I could whisper under my breath and tell him the truth, or pass a note. But taking risks, at this point, comes at too high a price.

Who would be next? Ainsley? Mum? Dad? Orla? No, I can't do it. I'll try to work something out, or just accept that Eric and I never had a chance. There are too many hurdles, too many barriers to what we could've had.

I need to accept that this is it for us.

We are done.

Maybe to break through the quietness between us on the way, Eric tells me that the Christmas dance is still going ahead next week. That Dad refuses to make any amendments on plans now that things have changed. He doesn't answer when I ask what exactly has changed, just continues his strides that I struggle to keep up with.

On the opposite side of the glass, snow falls. I walk slower, just so I can watch where the water meets with the slush. I hope, wish, that one day, I'll be able to take a deep breath of fresh air, and feel the chill of the coldness that will make my nose red.

Eric comes up next to me, his shoulder to the top of my head. For nearly a minute, he stares out the glass, too. I can feel him, his body so close to me, yet out of reach. I know if I flinch my fingers to the right, I'll touch his. I know if I slant my head, I'll be against him.