12: YOU CAN ALWAYS SAY NO, BUT THAT WOULD REALLY, REALLY SUCK

“Solenn, Solomon, Selina, Joana, Mateo, Lukas, and you, Gabriel.”

Gideon’s voice was firm, heavy and final. He stared them down as he called their names. “Before you were born you were already chosen for this role. Before you were formed in your mothers’ wombs you were already destined to become Champions. You were born for this.”

Lukas shifted in his seat and leaned forward on his elbows. He still had a casual, easy smile on his face, but even Gabriel could see the tension in his shoulders.  His voice came out in a languid drawl. “But if that was so, why did the — what did you call it, the Mark of the Champions — appear only recently? And why call us Candidates instead of Champions?”

“That’s a good question, Lukas,” Deborah said. She stood up from her seat and joined Gideon at the head of the table. “You are only Candidates until you have gone through the anointing ritual with full consent.”

“You mean we can say no?” the redhead asked.

“You can always say no,” Gideon said. “Just because you were chosen for this does not mean that you will be coerced to do this. We were given faculties to think and choose. We use it, and we deal with the consequences of our choices and actions.”

Solenn raised her hand. “We can really say no? ‘Coz I think in all the years we’ve been training for this, Samson never once said that.”

“I didn’t think it was relevant,” Samson replied, his voice firm, but not unkind. “Are you planning to back out now that you know you can, Solenn?”

Gold-tinged amber met with stormy grey as Solenn returned Samson’s probing stare with one of her own. Samson knew that out of all the people in this room, Solenn was the one most ready to be the Champion she was born to be... if only she could curb her strong emotions. Right now, she still had a long way to go.

She would never back out. For one thing, he raised her and Solomon to face all challenges head on. He wasn’t surprised with what came out of Solenn after a long stretch of silence.

“No,” she said. “I won’t back out.”

Samson nodded with the barest hint of a satisfied smile and gestured for Gideon to continue.

“The best father-daughter relationship I’ve had the horror — er, sorry — honor to witness. And I always have front-row seats.” Gideon smirked. “Gabriel, I’m sure you’d  like  to  know  what Champions are.”

“Would appreciate more information, thank you.”

“Once every generation, seven people from all over Cielterra are chosen to defend the Garden of Eden. During the First War for Eden, the cherubs blessed seven chosen Guardians with seven holy weapons and extraordinary powers that helped defend Eden and defeat the Wicked. Their powers remain dormant until such time when Eden senses grave danger. When the Towers light up, the Mark of the Champions will appear on the seven pre-chosen Candidates. Some Candidates are born with marks, while other marks would show only after the Towers have lit up and identified them.”

“Is that the same mark I saw on Solenn’s arm when she smacked me on the forehead and triggered some of my memories?”

Gideon nodded. “If you saw the Flaming Sword on her arm, then yes. That’s the Mark of the Champion. See, all Guardians are given a pendant with the same image during the Guardian Investiture — a graduation of sorts — but only the Champions would have the mark etched on their skin.”

Gabriel was thoughtful as he looked at his own arm. “But I haven’t seen any mark on me yet.”

Samson suddenly stood up and walked to where Gideon and Deborah were. “Your mark might be delayed, but you are indeed a Candidate.”