20: FURTHER INTO THE DEEP AND FARTHER FROM THE LIGHT

Mateo looked behind his back for the umpteenth time. He had been feeling eyes on him since he entered the pass, but every time he looked, there was nothing.

He felt something akin to panic rise in his chest, but he swamped it down by taking deep breaths.

There was no reason to be afraid. He had walked through dark alleys and dangerous valleys in his stint as a student in the Initiative. He had also fought and faced vicious demons, contrary to what the Alphas thought about them. He had survived many dangerous battles in his short life, the ones he had fought the past few days being the hardest, so one dank, dark and damp cave wouldn’t scare him.

He knew that he was in the company of better fighters, but he was confident that he had been a good contribution to the team. He was the weapons master and the gadgets expert, and he made sure that all of their logistical needs were taken care of even before they left the Citadel. He wasn’t a brilliant tactician like Solomon, or a good leader like Solenn — her temper and attitude aside — but he knew that he was valuable to the team as well.

Jusas there’s no room for fear, there’s also no room for self-doubt in a Guardian’s heart, he told himself.

He only hoped his fellow Beta understood that. Joana took some time before warming up to the team, especially the Alphas, not because she was hard on everyone, but because she was hardest on herself. She always thought she had something to prove, which is why she pushed herself very hard on the things she knew she could excel at. Downside of it was that she became very competitive and proud, and she couldn’t relate well with people who had almost the same attitude.

Like Solenn. Like himself, whenever he wanted to poke fun at Joana by outdoing her in projects and presentations back when they were still students at the Initiative. But in spite of her doubts, in spite of her competitiveness, he considered Joana his friend and he didn’t want to impede on tasks she had embraced as hers.

Which is why he was a bit wary of asking Joana to let him help her with the navigation. He didn’t know how, but somehow, he had begun to have a feel of the place as soon as they entered it. There were shadows and whispers, but he was quick to dismiss them and instead tried to feel his way around the place.

Actually, he had that feeling of being familiar with the environment the moment he stepped out of the Chamber of Champions. “Remarkable” didn’t even begin to describe his experience during the Anointing. Gabriel once said that he felt like he was engulfed by water when he said yes. Mateo felt like he was embraced by earth.

Even now he couldn’t quite explain it. One moment he was standing in the heavenly Chamber, and the next, everything was earth. Over, under, and in between, all earth. He didn’t want to be lost. He grew up surrounded by luxury and comfort, but he had always felt disconnected with everyone, even his family. Being surrounded by deep, rich, earth made him feel grounded. Anchored. Yes, he felt suffocated for a moment, but when he held in his hands the battle ax that named itself the Tabernacle, everything faded and he was back in the Chamber.

Surreal. That experience was so surreal.

After that though, he felt more in tune with his surroundings. “Joana, how long is this Pass again?” Gabriel asked, his question breaking through Mateo’s thoughts. They had been walking through the Tyriad Pass for what seemed like hours already, but the puésto was nowhere near in sight.