17: MORE QUESTIONABLE CREDENTIALS AND DANCING WEAPON WIELDERS

The moment Lukas arrived at the meeting place, he was greeted by the sharp end of Solenn’s ginormous sword and the huge barrel of Selina’s gun.

“Lovely morning, ladies,” Lukas greeted as he pushed both weapons away with his pointer finger. “I’m deeply touched. Not five seconds in your presence and I have managed to piss you off already. What did I do this time?”

Gabriel chuckled. “You’re late, dude.”

“Really? But we agreed to leave at first light! It was dark in my room when I went out. I was going to ask you to congratulate me for coming early, actually.”

Solenn raised her weapon again and pushed it against Lukas’s neck. “Your room has black blinds. It’s always dark in your room.” 

“There is this wonderful invention,” Joana said from where she stood propped against the tree, examining her nails, “called an alarm clock. Try it some time, Lukas.” She straightened and slung her beloved weapon over her shoulder.

Lukas had to peek over Solenn’s sword to marvel at the beauty that was Joana’s sleek, but powerful bow. The Passover’s long, obsidian limbs flared out like wings sprouting the golden grip. The nocks were pointed at the edges, making it an effective short-range weapon as well. The string was gold as well, like it was spun from sunbeams and stars. Her quiver, black as night with intricate fire etchings at the side, was enchanted to produce limitless arrows.

The arrows were a sight to behold as well. The heads were carved like an eagle’s head, its long beak the sharp point. Golden feathers adorn the fletching, right above the nock shaped like claws.

Magnificent, that. And  Lukas was lucky too, that Joana wasn’t joining the two women who were plotting his demise at the moment.

Should he draw his Resurrection, perhaps? After  all, he, too, was gifted with a marvelous weapon. The trident wasn’t as flashy as Solenn’s sword, as marvelous as Joana’s bow, or as powerful as Selina’s guns and whips, but with its bronze staff and two outer blades flaring out and then curving towards the longer middle blade, it, too, was a sight to behold as well.

Oh, and it had a special feature, too. It extends. Fantastic, this. But no, it wasn’t likely for him to raise even a single finger at fine women, ill tempered and violent they may be.

“Solenn, lower your weapon,” Solomon warned. “Samson’s not here to police you.”

“No, he’s not, because he and the other flyers had already set out hours ago,” Solenn said. “And without Samson here to police me, I can maim useless Guardians as much as I want.”

“Not if you’re the captain, you can’t,” Solomon said. “Because your men are standing not a few yards away from you.”

And true enough, when Lukas peeked over the sword, there they were. A hundred fine men and women, ready to march to their impeding doom.

I’m such a pessimist, he thought, amused at his private thoughts. Last night’s rally was so awe-inspiring, it moved Lukas. For about an hour after they had dispersed.

This business of being a Guardian was seriously getting more and more troublesome.

Mateo released a loud sigh and clapped his hands to get their attention. “Look, why don’t you focus all those pent-up feelings of spite on our enemies? Let’s try not to kill each other before we’ve had the chance to kill demons and the enemy, shall we?”