05: BRONZE MEDALLIONS ARE MORE THAN WHAT THEY SEEM

• Dedicated to Marjorie Duterte

Attending the Mass was mandatory in their makeshift family. Every night before dinner, Gabriel would round up the other children and sit in the front row of the church to celebrate the Eucharist. Most of the time, the kids would just drool on each other's shoulders. Throughout the years, Gabriel had learned to perfect and patent his "listening face" and nod at the most appropriate moments. But really, his mind would always be flying.

After dinner, Gabriel was in his room preparing to sleep when he heard a knock on his door. Only Sister Margaret ever knocked. Father Andres always announced himself by shouting Gabriel's name and the kids would just barge in without any particular care if he were nude or sleeping.

"Gabriel, are you still awake?"

"Come in, Sister Margie!"

The older nun peeked in with a smile before she entered the room. "I hope I'm not disturbing you."

"Oh, no, Sister. It's fine," Gabriel said as he stood up to kiss the nun on her cheek. "I heard about the 'heroes', by the way."

Sister Margaret's laugh was soft and gentle, almost like the soft rustle of wind. "Those kids certainly took up after you. You should see Helen's Esther. She suddenly sprouted golden wings and sported a golden crown."

"I only heard about Elijah's 'super colorful costume'," Gabriel said with a snicker.

"Someday you kids will realize that heroes do not need elaborate costumes and superpowers. Sometimes, all it takes is a good heart and a strong faith."

"Gotcha, Sister," Gabriel said with a wink. "So, what's up? To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"A woman can't check up on the boy she raised as her son, just because?" Gabriel raised an eyebrow and tilted his head as if to say, "Yeah, right." Sister Margaret laughed and sat down on a chair near Gabriel's desk and smiled. "It's your birthday tomorrow. Come home early so you can celebrate your day with us. I know you have friends, but perhaps you can celebrate with them some other day."

"Of course I'll come home to you. Family is important! Family first!" Gabriel grinned. "Besides, Father Andres would skin my hide if I didn't spend my birthday with you."

"Father Andres will do no such thing," Sister Margaret admonished lightly. "But of course, if you want, you can bring some of your friends. You always speak of this Solenn. Would you like to ask her to come over?"

"No way!" Gabriel exclaimed. His eyes widened at the mention of Solenn's name. "And I don't talk about Solenn all the time."

Sister Margaret's brows furrowed. "Yes, you do. Why, even at dinner, you told us how your professor kicked her and her brother - Solomon, was it? - out of the class."

Gabriel shook his head furiously. "Selina. I always talk about Selina, not Solenn."

"You can invite Selina, too," Sister Margaret said. "But I'll stand by my word that it is Solenn you always talk about. You mention Selina, but not as much as Solenn, so I thought you liked -"

"Don't even go there!" Gabriel's head whipped up so fast, Sister Margaret thought he'd snap his neck. "Solenn? No way!"

"Well, you talk about her all the time, what was I supposed to think?"

"Then let's not talk about her at all," Gabriel firmly said. He shuddered at the thought of being involved with the surly girl.

"If you say so," Sister Margaret conceded with a small smile. "But believe it or not, I did not come here to discuss your potential love life with Solenn-" Gabriel opened his mouth to protest again, but Sister Margaret beat him to it, "or Selina. I came here to give you this."