22: INTO THE HEART OF THE BATTLE

They were late.

They found the puéstimmediately after Solenn defeated Fear, but when they stepped out, they realized that they had spent a few days inside the Tyriad Pass. Time, it seemed, slowed down in the passage of inner beasts.

When they got out, Joana immediately took out her tablet to study the position of the planets. She released a terrified gasp when she realized that today was the day of the alignment.

Xandros had probably slashed Gate Pandora open already.

With every ounce of speed  their  feet  could  carry  them,  the Champions and the Guardians rushed towards the enemy’s base.

The battle was already raging when they arrived.

Shame and regret washed over the astounded troop as they watched the riders fight against the combined forces of Astanason army and the demons they had allied themselves with.

Solenn started barking out orders, commanding the Guardians to help the riders the moment they arrived at the scene. The one hundred Guardians who traveled by puésto easily dispersed at the command of their captain. Solomon watched at the scene playing out before him. He had been to many battles in his life, but he had never seen one as bad as this. Atanasons were known to be sorcerers and witches who contract demons, but Solomon had never once seen it. Now, though, he almost wished he never did. He watched with dread as their riders’ beams and lasers fought against the elemental attacks of the Astanasons.  Left and right Guardians fought not only with demons, but with the Menfolk of the city of the damned.

The Guardians were trained to fight, but seldom did they fight with Menfolk. It seemed soul wrenching somehow, to take the life of one of their own, no matter the blood — Wicked or Favored — that ran in their veins.

Solomon stood paralyzed on his spot. The battle raged on. Men fought and fell. Demons roared and ravaged. Solomon took it all in, wondering if this could have happened had he chosen another path, had he thought of another plan.

Whagood is strength if there is no wisdom? Whagood is power if there is no faculty for sound decisions?

Please. Whoever is listeningTriune… Father, Son, Holy Ghost, you who called me to this purpose. I acknowledge your presence in the middle of this battle. I acknowledge your power in the midst of my failure… grant me the giftI ask for.

There was no reply. No flash of blinding white light. No breath coming out from the roar of a great lion. No thunder came rolling and no lightning came striking.