03: FIERY SUNSETS, MELANCHOLIA, AND BEAUTIFUL, PISSED-OFF LADIES

• Dedicated to MA Camonias

“Well, it’s not the first time we got kicked out of class,” Solenn said as she leaned on the classroom wall. They had put their armors back on after their Walk of Shame so that they could continue to watch over Gabriel. “Samson should be used to this by now, so I don’t think we’ll get into trouble.”

Solomon smirked. “You sound like you’re just trying to convince yourself.”

“Shut up, Sol,” Solenn snapped. “Anyway, he wasn’t that mad when we got kicked out of Salvation History back home.” She nodded firmly to herself. “We’re good.”

“No, we’re not,” Solomon said. “He said if we get into trouble with school one more time, he’d make our lives so miserable, we’d wish we never met him at all.”

“I wish that all the damn time,” Solenn said. She heaved a huge sigh and blew her bangs off her face. “What do you think our punishment would be this time?”

Solomon shrugged. “I have no idea.”

“You’d have thought he’d be sick of punishing us, what with how often we get into trouble, but no. He gets more creative every time.” “Yeah. remember that time he made us run 50 laps around the Citadel’s walls in anime cosplay? I was a ninja in an orange suit and you were a sailor warrior. I don’t even know how he knew what anime is.”

“Bah. That was one of his lamest ideas,” Solenn said. “Remember when he tied us to a post and spread honey all over our arms? I thought I’d die when those fire ants started to crawl toward us. We’re lucky Gideon doused us with water and released us before the ants could bite.”

“What about when he made us give a ‘heartfelt’ public apology live on air? That was the most humiliating moment of my life.” Solomon shuddered as he remembered how Samson forced them to give a public apology after they started a riot during the High Mass. He couldn’t remember what his classmate said that had gotten him so pissed, but he could remember how good it felt when his fist crashed the idiot’s nose. next thing he knew, Solenn had joined the fight. It escalated into an all-out brawl in mere minutes.

“Yeah, that was the worst,” Solenn agreed. “You think Samson would forgive us if we told him we got kicked out because we protected the Human?”

“We can try.”

“You tell him, OK? He likes you more.” 

Solomon smirked at his partner before his expression turned serious. “More important than our inevitable punishment is the fate of that Human over there.” He threw a glance at Gabriel, who was pretending to take down notes. He was just writing Selina another love letter. “I don’t know who’s been sending demons after us, but whoever they are, they’ve already found out that he’s one of us, too.”

Solenn nodded. “It’s bad enough that we have to protect ourselves from the attacks,” she said, “but now we have to protect him, too. I thought we’d at least be able to bring him back to us before he started showing signs of being a —” Anything Solenn was going to say was cut off by the final bell. Their eyes automatically shot to their charge. He was, of course, on his way to the object of his adoration.

“How long do you think before Selina blows him off ?” Solenn asked.  “Because  I  really  think  he’s  just  setting  himself  up  for  a heartbreak. Dude’s digging his own grave.”

Solomon smirked when he noticed Selina hiding a grimace as Gabriel approached. “Knowing how irritating that fool is? Soon.”

“That poor guy.” Solenn’s mocking tone and amused smirk belied her words.

“Anyway, they’re heading out. Come on.” Solomon stood upright from where he was propped against the wall and followed Gabriel and Selina out of the classroom, Solenn on his heels. Gabriel had wanted to hang out at the Lovers’ Lane, a long stretch of granite walk in front of their university’s famous Main Building, but Selina begged off with a polite smile.