15: DRAMATIC ANOINTING CEREMONIES QUESTIONABLE CREDENTIALS...

15: Dramatic Anointing Ceremonies, Questionable Credentials, and Embracing Destinies

It's time.

Solenn had been waiting for this her entire life, and yet somehow, the moment was lost on her. She couldn't speak for others, but personally, she felt as if a blanket of calmness had descended over her, protecting her against the attack of fear, doubt and anxiety.

Which was nothing short of a miracle, considering that she had every reason to be afraid.

She was, after all, going to be anointed as one of the seven legendary Champions chosen by the Triune God to defend Eden and to help save the Worlds from evil. But that was a fancy way of saying it.

She was going to war, is all. Piece of cake.

She wasn't afraid at all. In her mind, she could hear Samson's voice, stern but firm.

There is no room for fear in a Guardian's heart.

Solenn examined her heart and found no traces of fear. There wasn't an ounce of anxiety, no shred of doubt. For someone who was going to march towards probable death, she was being perfectly cool about it. Was this the effect of the many hours of meditation Samson had imposed on them? Probably.

Solenn would even bet all the rons in her bank account that Samson was more nervous than she was. What a stage dad, she said, trying hard not to roll her eyes. To the others, he might seem the calm, composed and collected commander that everyone knew him to be, but Solenn knew that he was on the edge of his nerves. She could tell by the hard set of his jaw, the relentless ticking of his left eyebrow, and the tension on his shoulders. Only one who was well versed in Samson-speak could tell.

Solenn tore her eyes away from Samson and studied the vast room. The Chamber of Champions was bereft of people save for the High Priest that would officiate the ceremony, the Judges, and of course, the Candidates. There were two Councilmen present - that aloof Grimald and his BFF Toran - as witnesses, but other than that, no one else was allowed inside.

The Anointing Ceremony was too sacred an event for it to be made a public exhibition of sorts.

Being in the Chamber felt like floating above the clouds. Located in the penthouse of Tower Faith, its glass walls gave the occupants a magnificent view of Cielos and the vast lands and seas surrounding it. Far beyond, the earth, the sea and the sky stretched on, until Solenn couldn't tell where one began and the other ended. The rays of the sun were broken by the fractals in the glass walls, sending a burst of brilliant colors dancing on the Chamber's marble floors.

Solenn wondered for a moment if heaven was as bare as this room.

There was only an ivory basin floating - how was that possible? - on a rectangular pool in the middle of the room. All the Candidates stood at the edge of the pool. Solenn wanted to peek into the waters to find out how deep it was, but she held her ground.

It wouldn't do much good to fidget in front of the High Priest, especially since she was pretty notorious for participating in fights, in worship rallies and Masses. She knew the High Priest had no power revoking her title as Candidate, but she wasn't too sure. She didn't pay much attention in Religion classes to find out. Better if she would stay on her best behavior.

But when the High Priest raised his hand and opened his mouth to speak, all sense of calm and coolness deserted Solenn like a murder of crows taking flight at first sight of the sun.

Oh God, it's time. Her hand itched to reach for Solomon's, but they were a few feet apart.

"Candidates, it is time," the High Priest said, his voice as old and ancient as the years he had lived. He regaled them all with a profound look, and took all of Solenn's discipline not to wither under his stare. "The battle between the forces of Light and the forces of Darkness have never ceased, but it is only in times of great danger that the need for Champions arises."