02: FIGHTING DEMONS GETS YOU KICKED OUT OF CLASS

CHAPTER TWO: FIGHTING DEMONS GETS YOU KICKED OUT OF CLASS

They killed it in less than a minute.

Bullhounds are huge and deadly, but they are also slow and stupid. The Underworld teemed with many types of demons, most of which are sentient and malevolent, but some are just beastly creatures sent to destroy. Those demons are the dumbest.

The bullhound charged directly at Gabriel without even looking at Solomon and Solenn. Solomon blocked its path and landed a blow on its head with his hammer. The whine it released sounded more like a thick gurgle as it stumbled onto the floor and skidded through the wall and out into the corridor. Solenn ran after it and thrust her huge sword into its neck before it could stand up again. Solomon followed in less than a split second. For good measure, he swiped at it with the sharp edge of his mace, slicing the head off its body.

“Ew, Sol!” Solenn complained as she dodged the splatter of thick, green demon blood.

Solomon flashed his partner a sheepish grin. “Sorry, ‘Lenn.” Solenn  kicked  the  bullhound’s  head  in  annoyance. It rolled unceremoniously down the corridor. A Human boy grimaced as he walked past where it was. He couldn’t see it, but the presence was still strong, even if it was already dead.

Its mangy flesh quickly rotted before it disintegrated into a pile of ashes. a soft gush of wind came to blow it away. They both stared at it for a few seconds before starting back to their classroom.

“I am offended that it didn’t even look at me,” Solenn said as she strapped her sword to her back. “I mean, what am I, chopped liver? We’re Candidates, too! The first ones, even. Aren’t these things supposed to attack us? Why, just the other day they sent an entire horde to get us. And not the dumb ones, too.”

Solomon raised an eyebrow at his partner and smirked. “I’d have thought you’d be more concerned that it attacked him.”

Solenn shrugged. “Yeah, that too.”

“This is the first time a demon came for him,” Solomon pointed out. “You remember what Samson said about demons attacking our charge?”

“Of course, I do,” Solenn snapped. “It means his cover as a Human is getting weaker because he’s nearing that age, and that... oh, crap. We have to bring him home, don’t we?”

Solomon nodded. “Yeah, we have to. His cover can’t keep his true blood anymore. It’s getting stronger. He’s getting stronger. He can’t stay here any longer. It’s not safe. ”

“But his Mark hasn’t even shown up yet,” Solenn protested. “And if his blood’s getting stronger, he should be able to see us now even with our armors on.” She looked at where Gabriel was and nearly growled when she saw him poking at her.

Her Human double, that is. Her sleeping Human double.

The entire  class  and  the  professor  were  watching  as  Gabriel and another classmate tried to wake their doubles from their sleep. Solenn could make out a few veins popping out of their professor’s head as she approached him. He looked like he was going to die from brain aneurysm any moment.

“Solenn?” Gabriel whispered. “Hey, Solenn. Wake up. You’re dozing off again.”

“Look at him. Talking to me like we’re super close chums,” Solenn groused as she walked back to her double. “Stop poking at me, idiot!” she snapped, even though she knew Gabriel couldn’t hear her. “There goes  another trip to the DO,”  Solomon  sighed  as  he walked towards his own sleeping double.

“I really hate these doubles. Useless things stare off into space or fall asleep when we leave them. No wonder we’re always in trouble with the profs.”

“We’ll have to ask for better models when we get back,” Solomon said.

If they have plans of calling us back,” Solenn said sarcastically. “At this point, I have a feeling Samson’s just trying to get rid of us.”

“Oh, no. He wouldn’t dare get rid of his favorite student. You, on the other hand...” Solomon trailed off with a teasing smile.

Solenn scowled at her partner before she took out her pendant and imagined the flaming sword. The vision was so vivid, she could almost feel the heat of the fanning flames. She felt her spirit gently merging with her double. a split second after, she felt pokes on her arm.

“Solenn, come on. Wake up,” Gabriel hissed. “The professor’s going to kill you! Solenn!”

“I’m going to kill you if you don’t stop poking at me,” Solenn snapped as she opened her eyes and sat up straight. She spared the hyperventilating professor a glance and bowed her head in a pathetic attempt to apologize. “Sorry, sir.”

To her left, she could see Solomon giving a nameless classmate a nasty glare as he “woke up.”

“Mr. and Ms. Del Cielo,” the professor hissed, “I will not tolerate you sleeping in my class, anymore. This has happened one too many times. I’ve never experienced such blatant disrespect in my life.”

“It won’t happen again, sir,” Solomon promised.

“Of course it wouldn’t. I’m dropping you out of this class.” “You can’t do that!” Solenn said.

“Yes, I can. It’s that, or I’ll file a complaint against you in the Student Welfare Development Board.”

“I really don’t see how filing a complaint against us will foster the development of our welfare.”

“Solenn, shut up. You’re making it worse,” Gabriel warned. “You shut up! You don’t tell me what to do!”

He doesn’t, but do,” the professor almost snarled. “Now get out of my class, Del Cielo.”

“Which one?”

“Both of you! out!”

“But—”

“I said out!”

The two exiled students gathered their things and started for the door without a word. They heard a snicker or two on their way out, but they chose to ignore it. any other day, they’d be onto those jerks before they could even blink, but the two didn’t want to get into more trouble. It was one thing to get kicked out of class. It was another to get kicked out of the school. They would really get in trouble, then. 

On his way out, Solomon caught the eye of the raven-haired girl Gabriel had been trying to woo. He thought he saw her smirk as he walked out the door.

____

A/N: How are you liking Champions so far! Remember to leave a line or two! Would love to hear from you! :)