Chapter 23

Cal

Two weeks. Two tiring weeks of war and it was just the beginning. I find myself worrying about the women and children we had to leave behind but it is for the best. With us here to fight, the children can be spared of the horrors of war and the women can take care of them. It's not to say that the women aren't capable fighters however those who have or are with child meant that it was better if they stayed behind while all the men and women - who could fight - were brought with. But, through all of this, I find myself missing Raven. Just to see her now and know that she is safe would be enough for me but I'm sure she's fine. She's a true fighter.

It would be nice to have her here though. . .

"Go to her then!" Clyde commands, his tone angry and powerful.

"She doesn't want anything to do with me, Clyde. And even if she did, we are in the middle of a war. I can't just drop everything and leave," I shoot back at him.

Hunters are ruthless and cruel when it comes to werewolves or any other supernatural creature for that matter. To them, we're nothing but imperfections; flaws and they feel the need to correct it by wiping us off the face of the earth. If I don't stop them, they'll attack all of us, including my pack, sooner or later and, with so many lives on the line, losing to them is not an option.

"You look fucking awful, Cal," Harry says, taking a seat next to me.

I'm in the planning room - where we plan all our attacks - and I was going over a few strategies when I got distracted by my thoughts. Until Harry showed up, that is.

I give him an unimpressed look as I direct my attention back to my plans before replying,"No shit, Sherlock. I'm worried about the pack. Not to mention R- never mind."

He nods in understanding before Thomas steps in and decides to give his opinion,"I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. I don't blame you. However, I think you're doing a whole lot better than Sam at least."

Yeah, poor Sam. He's been worrying sick about Julie and with her being pregnant, it's not helping his anxiety. He has literally nearly gone insane. Sam is fine during training but once it's over, he either goes to cry or sits in a corner and talks to himself for hours. We're not allowed to call them as a safety measure so he has completely lost the plot. Yes, there is the mind-link but that won't help much. With our instincts going into battle mode, our mind-link has been somewhat weakened because of it so trying to mind-link those who have been left behind borders on the impossible. So, I guess I am better off than poor Sam.

It must be so tough knowing that he has a mate to worry about and also the fact that she is carrying his child. He is going to be a father and with the hunter threat, his stress is higher than the clouds. At least I don't have that kind of stress on my plate.

Raven

"I can't live without him knowing, Julie!" I cry as I shove another mouthful of tomato in my mouth that I had been craving all day. I don't even fucking like them!

"I know that this is hard for you, Ray but things will get better soon and you'll be able to tell him everything."

I nod my head sadly as I turn my head to look outside. All the pack pups are playing and enjoying themselves. They're so happy and the pack moms are all talking about their mates that went off to fight. More tears fill my eyes as I throw the disgusting tomato across the kitchen before storming upstairs to sob.

Rushing into Cal's room, I throw myself on the bed and pick up the ultrasound picture of our baby that is lying on the night stand next to the bed. I clutch it tightly in my hand before I plant my face in a pillow and allow my tears to fall on it as I think about Cal. I have come to miss him very much but I mostly blame it on not being able to tell him about our child. A few days ago, I went to the pack doctor and that's where I got the ultrasound photo. I wish I could just tell him about the baby.

"Cal. . ." I don't finish my words. I just cry because that's all I can do as I stare at the picture of our baby. You can't really see it, it's just a small white blur but it's there. It's our child, the life that I'm carrying and to think that I can't tell Cal about it makes me feel so. . .tormented.

My thoughts are interrupted when I hear a knock at the door but choose to ignore it. All I want is Cal. If he's not at the door then I'm not interested. The knock comes again, this time louder and a little longer but I still ignore it. It then becomes insistent and I lose my shit.

"Go away!" I yell.

"I-it's me, Julie," her voice sounds from outside as she replies.

"Leave me alone, Julie. I want to be by myself for a while."

"P-please, Raven. Open the d-door."

I look over at the door and scrunch my eyebrows in confusion as I get up, inching my way slowly towards the door. Her tone is so scared and it trembles with distress.

"Something's wrong. I don't hear the pups outside anymore. In fact, I don't hear anything at all," Gale comments, her words making me nod in agreement.

Something is definitely wrong but I still open the door to see if Julie's okay. I can't ignore how terrified she sounds. I grip the picture in my free hand as I open the door and my eyes widen at the sight before me. Julie has a knife to her throat while two hunters stand by her. One is behind her, holding the knife while the other is by her side, smirking like a sadistic Cheshire cat.

"I'm s-so s-sorry, Raven," she whispers, giving a little whimper at the end.

"Shut up, bitch," the leader says before turning his gaze to me, a horrid grin appearing on his face,"Sources say that you're the Alpha of this pack's mate. Is this true?"

I am frozen in place as he watches me, waiting for any sign that will give me away. I only glare at him,"I wouldn't tell you anything, bastard."

His smirk falls and then he snaps his fingers. The other man holding Julie begins pushing the knife a little more into her throat. It doesn't draw blood but it's silver so she screams as it begins burning her flesh.

"Answer me now!" The leader yells.

"Okay, okay, I'm his mate! Stop hurting her, you fuck!"

The leader smirks, ordering the man to stop,"Perfect, just who I wanted to see."

He waves the man away as he walks closer to me. While the man walks away with Julie, the leader in front of me pulls me to his chest by my waist. He flicks out a switch blade and drags it across my arm, making me scream and struggle in pain. He gives out a curt and cruel laugh as he throws me on the floor and gets on top of me, the knife a centimetre away from slashing my throat.

"You're disgusting Alpha mate has been making a lot of trouble for us so let's see what happens when he realises that he shouldn't have messed with us," the guy growls.

I whimper as I struggle under him, gripping the ultrasound picture tightly in my hand. He notices this and rips it out of my grasp, smirking at what he sees.

"You're carrying his child?"

He chuckles as he fists a large clump of my hair in his hand making me scream out in pain. He then shuts me up by slamming my head harshly onto the floor. I groan loudly from the sharp pain as I begin to feel light headed and dizzy.

Just before I pass out, I see his ear-to-ear grin as he says,"Even better."