Chapter 17

Please do not forget to comment. I love comments!

* * *

Raven

My eyes are raw and sore as I trudge weakly back to the pack house with Cal walking in front of me. We had decided to walk back together in silence. I don't know why I was walking with him but I don't question it. All the memories have stopped flooding into my mind but the damage they left still remains. I sometimes wish I could forget everything, like one of my drunken black-outs, only instead of forgetting one night I forget everything. I forget mom, I forget all the pain, I forget everything that made my life hell, I'd even forget Frankie.

Tears begin to flow down my cheeks and I scold myself for thinking such things. How could I wish to forget about the two people who had made my existence more bearable? That wasn't fair especially when they couldn't even be here.

I wipe away my tears quickly when I notice Cal is turning his head. He stares at me from over his shoulder with some sort of emotion swirling in his eyes. I can't tell what it is and I don't get the chance to figure it out. Because as he opens his mouth to speak, he shuts it quickly before turning away from me. For some reason, I am angered by this.

As the pack house comes into view I notice some pack members are gathered outside, fighting in a painted circle that is to the side. That's when I realise that they are training. Cal is quick to join them to give some guidance. My blood boils at the sight of him hurrying to get away from me and the sudden urge to let my anger out begins to overflow.

"CAL!"

Cal turns at the mention of his name. Using my werewolf speed, I run as fast as the wind until I'm standing a mere ten inches apart from him. I glare at him with hate as he gives me a blank stare, like nothing had happened. This truly angers me as it means he didn't even feel sorry. I bet he came to fetch me because the pack had seen me run and he didn't want to look suspicious for not going after me. Since he is giving training, I think now is a good time to let out my anger.

"I want to do a sparing duel with you," I practically growl, my gaze as fierce as hell fire.

Everyone stares at us with astonishment as they wait for what will happen next. He gives me a weird and confused look but as the Alpha he can't refuse a sparing request from anyone in his pack - that includes his mate.

"Fine, get in position," he sighs, annoyance very heavy in his tone.

We both stand inside the fighting circle and many spectators stand around it to watch the duel. I throw off my leather jacket and toss it to the side before taking a defensive stance. The whole point of a duel is to test a wolf's combat skills as well as their ability to think on their feet while in battle. To win a duel, one wolf has to get the other out of the fighting circle. Simple, right? Well, this can't be considered as a normal fight with the heated tension flowing between us. Duels are meant to be friendly fights that only involve the intent to test one's strength. None of that is present in our fight.

"I'm not going to take it easy on you, Raven. We both know what this is for," Cal addresses as he takes his own defensive position.

Yeah, we both intend to release our anger.

"Shut the fuck up and just fight me, Cal," I spit out, my anger almost reaching its boiling point.

"Whatever."

Before I can even take in what is happening, he strikes. Lunging forward, he tries to tackle me but I quickly divert to the side at the last second then swing my leg to the back of his head. He falls to the ground and gasps are heard all around us. I take this as my moment to pounce and that is just what I do.

But before I can even lay a finger on him, he turns and uses both legs to kick me away. The wind is knocked out of my body but I don't let that take me down so easily. I make a quick movement and land with one foot and one knee on the ground, skidding just near the edge of the fighting circle.

"You are good but I hope you know that I'm going to win."

I look up and glare at him with more rage than ever before. I run up unexpectedly and grip his shoulders, raising my knee into his stomach. He coughs as I make contact but it doesn't deter him as he grabs my knee and flips me over. I land on my back, pain erupting up my spine as he goes to grab me. My leg swings out, hitting him in his face and he stumbles to the side, holding his nose in pain. I jump up and prepare to jump on him when he moves to the side. He raises his fists and I notice some blood dripping from his nose.

I wait as he moves to punch me. I go to block it but he suddenly ducks and tackles me to the ground. He stands above me, a triumphant smirk on his face as he says,"What now, mate?"

That's when I finally lose my grip on my anger.

"I hate you!" I scream like a banshee as I jump up, head-butting him.

He groans and steps back. I instantly throw myself on him, knocking us both to the ground and begin to wildly throw punches at his rugged face.

"I hate you! How are you this much of an ass? First, you ruin our date, then you act like it never happened. Worst of all, when I poured my heart out to you this morning, you did nothing. Nothing! I am nothing but the horse shit you scowl at because I rubbed off on your shoes! The horse shit you fucking wipe away and pretend it was never there? I don't understand why you hate me so much!"

Suddenly, he kicks me off of him and just as I get up to attack him again, he slaps me across my face and I fall back and out of the circle. Everything goes quiet and I hold my stinging cheek in disbelief. I know we were dueling but that slap wasn't part of our combat. That slap held all his hatred and disgust for me in it. His horrid gaze just proved my theory.

"Let's just get one thing straight, Raven," he mind-links me, his tone hateful and spiteful,"you are nothing more than a tool that I can use at my disposal, mate or not. And as far as I'm concerned, you. Are. Not. My. Mate. You are just some rogue that might as well be the horse shit that rubbed off on my shoes."

My eyes widen and I can feel the tears I had just finished crying well-up in my eyes again. How could one person bring me to tears so quickly? How could one person hurt me so much with nothing but a hand full of words?

Rage finally overtakes my sorrow and I grit my teeth tightly, stand up and launch my clenched fist straight into his face, a satisfying crunch-like sound resonating around us.

"I fucking hate you!"

With that, I run off towards the only people I can trust. I need Harry's witty comments. I need Thomas' immaturity. I need Sam's calm and comforting demeanor. I need my family. I look back for just a second and see his emotionless eyes staring at me as if nothing happened.

Not even a fucking reaction?

I run inside the house as my heart feels like it'll slip out of my throat and break once it touches the hardwood floors. Tears sting at the edges of my brown eyes and I can't handle this pain.

He's so. . .so. . .HORRIBLE!