2

I wake up and there's a light in my eye, just beating down on me.  I turned my head from the light and was prepared to fall back asleep when I realized I never slept with the light on. Meaning either this isn't my room or someone else is in my room. I blinked my eyes open to find that I was indeed not in my room. It looks like a hospital. Then what happened to me came crashing back to me and I groaned as my head throbbed remembering. I sat up a bit and clenched my teeth in pain as I did, my side felt like someone was stabbing into my side. I looked at Kito resting in the chair beside my bed.

"K-Kito..." I stuttered weakly. His eyes fluttered open and he turned to me and our eyes met in a sleep-filled yet loving look.

"There's my baby," he said. "You had me worried sick. I thought we lost you." He reached and gently ran a finger over my face soothingly. "You're banged up really badly, cutie but you're still alive."

"What's with the pet names?" I stuttered.

"I lost you once, I'm not losing you again," he told me. "Ryan, I've liked you for the longest time and I can't have you die and I never tell you. I'd regret it for the rest of my life."

"I like you too, Kito," I replied, smiling. Kito sat and explained that I'd been through surgery after being beaten horribly. My sister had caught a flight here after he had called her and was on her way but my mother nor father picked up the damn phone. Figures.

"You broke 4 ribs that were pressing into your lung but the doctors fixed them and your leg is in a very tender state for the next week, maybe two," he said. "I should've been there to protect you, keep you safe but this happened on my watch."

"You were already in class," I told him. "You couldn't have known."

"But-"

"No buts," I cut him off. "Pass me a nutriment. You are not allowed to feel sorry for yourself for something that would've happened anyways. Just later on."

Kito just sighed because he knew I was right and helped me drink the liquid meal. My sister came storming in a few hours later when Kai was lying on my lap with one of my hands in his hair and the other reading aloud to catch up for class. I've been out for full 18 hours and Kito took a sick day just to stay with me.

"Ryan, you're okay, right? You can speak still? Nothing hurts?" She asked, bombarding me with questions. Kito explained the situation as he kept his head rested in my lap like a baby. "Who did all this?"

"A girl at school," I replied. "The girl does not like me but I never thought she'd do anything like this."

"You mean uh-who is it-Mr. Whittaker's daughter, Mana or something like that," Kito asked. Without a word, Liv disappeared out the door without another word. "Well, bye, then."

"She'll be back, she just has to kill someone first," I told him
He made a noise to show he understood and I got back to reading to the both of us. Honestly, I hope Olivia kills that bratty bitch but she can't because my sister loves working in the Navy. Not as much as me but definitely a lot. Either way, whatever she does will help me. Now, how do I tell my mother?

---

"God damn it, I'd hoped you were dead," she said as I closed the door. "Who was that? Your sugar daddy? Finally, get around to putting use to your body?"

Her laugh made it clear that she was so drunk, she doesn't even remember getting drunk. I ignored her snotty comments and made my way to my room where I took of the brace for my leg to let it be free. A week in the hospital under observation and then I could go home where I would be under parents/legal guardians watch. I didn't want to go home. At the hospital, there was peace and quiet, no mother to yell at me, real food daily, and homeschooling. It was nice, here is the opposite of these things. Mom threw bottles up the steps to get my attention but my door was locked and I was making up work from this week because I was absent.

My leg was healing but I had to be careful because if I twist it the wrong way, it'll reopen. Just like my cuts. They were bandaged in the hospital and the nurse told me not to cut because I'd be causing permanent damage to my arms and mental health. It's addictive since it's so easy and common. At least, they didn't tell Kito and Olivia, then I'd have to explain things that I wasn't ready to explain. I sat at my table and started working on assignments that were about to be overdue and missing. Honestly, I still have to get to college so I don't care if I just got out of the hospital, I have things to do. My phone buzzed on my desk and I opened it to see Kito calling me. 

"Hey baby," I said as I picked it up. "What's up?"

"Do you wanna go on a date with me tomorrow?" he asked. "I know you're not allowed at school till next week but I know a spot where we can go. If you want."

"I'd love to," I said, smiling. "You are just gonna have to come and get me because of my foot."

"I will, love," he said. "Have you decided what you're gonna do with the money you got from the school? It was like $200,000, right? You could get into college with that money without having to take out a loan." 

"And still have another 140 grand to spare," I said. "I already picked where I'm going in the fall and they accepted me. 15 grand a year for four years."

"Cool, where you going?"

"Lucia University. How about you?"

"I was accepted into Lucia and Bayshore but I don't know where I want to go."

"If you come to the same school as me, we can get an apartment off-campus together."

"I literally confessed to you a week ago and you already want to move in with me, how endearing. I'll contact the school and tell them."

"So, that's a yes to the apartment?" 

"Yeah, it's a yes. I love you, baby."

"Love you too, go do your homework, I'll be okay. But I'll see you tomorrow, 3 sound good?"

"Yeah, it does, night my love."

"Good night, Kito, my love."

I hung up and just clutched the phone to my chest. I think I've fallen lovesick. Every time I think about him, I get butterflies in my stomach and heart. But, I don't deserve love, I'm a failure, aren't I? Is this all just a lie?