7

"Wanna get coffee?"

"How about we exchange notes?"

"I was wondering...?"

She was starting to piss me off. She was either everywhere or just by Kito's side. She wouldn't just leave us alone. Also, she has an advantage now. She screws one of the teachers for favors and she wouldn't hesitate to use that to mess with my grades if given the chance, mess up my chances. The rich spoiled brat won't leave us alone. Mara Whittaker, daughter of Jose and Alana Whittaker. Her mother is a model, her father fashion designer, her brother died in action years ago. Her family is always in the news but she's just the annoying offspring of her family. Olivia is still off on her mission across the globe and I've gotten used to all the girls in the hospital I'm interning at. Mara seems to know everything about me and Kito and it's starting to scare me. I think she has someone watching me and got a background check on me. I got home early one Thursday and to find an envelope with pictures inside. Some were of me and Kai fighting in self-defense training, some were the two of us cuddling at movie night. The final one had me almost drop everything. I crumpled the picture in my hand as I unlocked the door and stepped inside. Our Golden Retriever towards me as I opened the door. Olivia sent him to me before she left as a support dog. She was raising him as a side project but needed someone to watch him because the person she was gonna have watched the dog went on vacation so now kai and I take care of him. He let go of the destroyed camera in his jaw and dropped it on the floor at me. I pet his head as I looked at the broken device. It was either a camera or a listening device but either way the Fury took care of it. The dog snuggled into my lap as I sat on the couch and brought out my laptop to start on the personnel essay I had to write. It was for therapy as a graduating assignment to see how far I've come. We had to write what made our lives better than we thought or how our life was going and how we felt about it. I honestly, was having trouble with it because Mara's actions were clouding my judgment and pissing me off. I watched the cursor on my laptop blink for a few seconds before sighing and moving onto something else. 

Kai came home later and jumped onto the couch with me. Fury was asleep in his bed and now it was just the two of us and he looked tired. 

"What's wrong, you look like you had a bad day," I asked and he groaned in response. "Well, if you're not up for talking then listen. Someone planted a bug in the house and there are pictures of us having sex that was sent in the mail and-"

"Wait what?!" he exclaimed, his head popping up from my lap. "Who took the photos?! Why? Did you call the police, at least?" 

"No, and I don't know," I said, sighing. "I think it's Mara but there's no proof for that. And the police actually need evidence to question her. She probably paid someone anyways." 

"Think she'd go as far as to possibly kill you?" Kai asked quietly. I guess he was afraid of it being a real possibility. 

"Sadly, yes, I do think she might try that," I said, sadly. "But, hey, if she did then you'd have something to convict her of."

"How about we just get a restraining order before it gets to that point," Kai said, pulling me into his lap so he could squeeze me in place. "She could violate it and then we could take her to court without you dying and leaving me alone. You scare me whenever you're alone, Ryan. I don't think I'd be able to manage to live without you."

"You can, I know you can," I said. "I don't want anything to happen to you if the worst happens."

"Nothing is going to happen to you," he promised, squeezing tighter. "I won't let it because I need you here. You make me happy and I keep you safe. Ryan, please don't leave me."

"Then you promise not to leave me," I replied. cupping his face above mine. There were tears watering his eyes and I used my thumb to brush them away. 

"I promise," he basically whispered. He kissed me gently and I smiled up at him through it. The amount of love that he shows me is almost unbearable because I'm not used to feeling loved and favored but Kai wants nothing more than to love me. The doorbell rang and I almost growled out at the interruption. I walked over to the door as Fury started growling and I raised an eyebrow before opening the door to Mara looking irritated. 

"How can I help you?" I asked. 

"You can stay away from my fiance," she seethed. "Or else I'll post these pictures all over the internet and I'll kill you."

Fury's head rose to attention at 'kill', ready to attack when told but I didn't signal him to do anything. 

"I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean," I said. "I don't really know anyone besides  my boyfriend and he's right here." 

Kai walked up behind me and wrapped his hands around my waist protectively. 

"I have been getting what I want since I was a baby, Ryan," she said. "And your so-called 'boyfriend' is my fiance because I say so. So, stay the hell away from him."

"Actually, he's my boyfriend and I don't think anything can change how I feel," I replied. 

"I don't even like you in the slightest, Mara," Kai said. "How did you even find our house?"

"I asked my father," she said innocently. A little demon under the disguise of an angel. She's not even trying with the disguise anymore. "He can get me anything I ask for."

"Can he get a restraining order against you?" Kai asked. "Mara, I really do mean this in all offense but please fuck off. You stopped by my job five freaking times. Enough of this, I don't love you and never will."

"But...I can give you anything, everything," she pleaded. "I'm better than the freak on every level, what do I have to do?"

"Stop calling me a freak is a start," I said. 

"You don't say anything, mistake," she spat and Kai pushed me behind him in a protective manner, and Fury came sneaking next to our legs. He was growling ready to attack. 

"If I'm a mistake, the world's doing a damn good job protecting me," I said. "Leave, Mara. And if you ever come back, I'll make sure Fury isn't held back."

She groaned and walked down the steps and out of sight. Kai closed the door and hugged me close. 

"Can I worry now?" he asked. 

"Yeah, we both can," I replied. That bitch was gonna try something because she wasn't giving up. Not yet anyway.