10

Originally, I thought I had woken up and Mara was put away but that wasn't the case. The fact is that she's hiding somewhere in the city and I've partnered with the chief of police to track her down. A month out of the hospital and we're still coming up dead though. While I finish school. My hospital internship ended and I probably could get another if I wanted but I really want to focus on catching Mara and ensuring I had a future I lived to see. I caught back up in school and retook a few tests that I missed and I was back on top again. I had to do it from home because my doctor says that I should ease back into my life but honestly, I'm ready to go back. I went into a coma for two months and I'm back now so let me be back. The police have a few suspects in mind who helped Mara escape because it wasn't my father since he was locked up that day. He's on death row. But I don't know who could've helped her enough to hide her beside her father and her family publicly disowned her for taking it as far as putting someone, me, in the hospital over a crush.

I borrowed Olivia's old army drone to scan the area faster than the police but we were all coming up dead. I got my food from the door when the bell rang but there was an envelope under it as well. I picked it up and while eating my shrimp lo mein, I opened it to find more pictures of Kito and myself. At the bottom of the package, there was my kunai in its holster. It wasn't found at the crime scene so I assumed Kito had just taken it. Guess not. The pictures were sold because it was before Kito decided not cutting his hair was a good idea. Then again, I've been in a coma for two months plus the third in the hospital for recovery. There is no way in hell these are recent. Except for this one, there is one is from the hospital. Taken from inside my room as I slept with Kito resting on the pull-out beside me. The back of the photo had a note saying "This isn't over" on it. I rolled my eyes and made my way over to the stove. I put a pan on the stove and turned on a burner that wasn't under the pan and set the photos on fire and moved them to the pan to finish burning. 'Side from the one with the note.

"Please don't tell me you're trying to burn our house down?" Kito asked behind me while wrapping his arms around me.

"No, more pictures came today and I'm letting them burn," I said. "Except for this one, anyway."

I showed him the picture with the note on the back and he groaned at it.

"She's back in action," Kito said. "And she's still in the city. They haven't had any sightings of her in weeks so we thought she left the city but she's still here."

"Yeah and the drone can't find her either," I said. "I know I'm supposed to be worried that she'll try something but I'm so focused on getting revenge that I'm not focusing on that. I kinda want her to come after me so that I can catch her."

"Please don't do anything stupid," he said. "I promised your sister that I wouldn't let you do anything stupid or anything happen to you. And you're still healing."

"I know," I replied. "I just want her to get a taste of her own medicine for once."

---

I got a notification on my phone saying there was a sighting of Mara from the drone. I contacted the chief of police and they weren't able to catch her but they did catch my mother, who was hiding her. I went to get her to talk and get where Mara is hiding but Kito stayed back. I couldn't have him lashing out at her for the past. Even with her in the police station with handcuffs everywhere, I still felt shivers down my spine from her.

"I assume you're here because they ran out of options," she said as I sat down. It was just the two of us in this room though I assumed they were listening through the glass. "Or you came here on your own? Without the army though.

"I wanted to see my mother sober for the first time in what 16 years?" I asked. "It may be 15. But you're also the only person who knew what those two were planning. The part that I was surprised by was that you went back to your husband."

"That chick paid good money for my help, but you know this already," my mother said. "She got me and your father on the same side by paying us and when they escaped, it was all uphill from there. You know this already Ryan, what is it you want to hear from me?"

"Where's Mara?" I asked. "The house is being checked including the basement and shed but she isn't there. Tell me where she is and all three of you can be locked in solitude together. Hopefully, father doesn't take her side over you."

She jumped up in the chains towards me basically growling at me.

"You don't know what it means to be betrayed by the person closest to you," my mother seethed.

"I also don't know what it means to be a drug addict and an alcoholic," I replied. "I'm also not a gang lord or a damn killer for hire. Those were the mistakes you two made, that's not on me."

"You'll understand soon enough, Ryan," she said. "Some promises are easily broken and others are easily bent. This plan will carry out and it will kill you but it won't be by Mara's hand, it'll be by yours."

"Take away the last person I have, eh?" I questioned. "I know you wouldn't do anything to Olivia so what's your plan with Kito."

"Let's just say you should've trained your dog to kill," she smirked. Fuck, Kito! I got up from the table glaring at her before leaving the room and telling the chief I knew where Mara was. They drove me home and I told them to wait outside as I went inside. Fury was injured on the ground but he was still breathing. There was a light coming from the bedroom and I broke the door open to see Mara trying to undress Kito and Kito doing shit about it.

"Figures," I said at the door. I picked up Mara's gun from the dresser though she tried to grab it I was faster. I pointed it at her and took off the safety. "I can shoot this gun and it'd be considered self-defense. Now, you can either walk away or you can join your brother in heaven."

She snarled at me though she did walk out the room and I kept the gun pointed at her till she walked out the door and into the police. I dropped the weapon and turned back to Kito who was in the room. He opened his mouth to say something but I stopped him.

"Not a damn word out of you," I said. "I don't know what the hell was happening but I don't want to know. You have two options, leave or deal with my rage. If I were you, I'd leave while you still can."