6

Fall rolled around faster than I would've liked. Kito and I have been going to therapy because Kito wouldn't let me not go and I was honestly excited about it. I really only went because Kito was teaching me to fight as well. Self-defense really. I bought a kunai and now it's strapped to my leg at all times. Kito said it was okay as long as I didn't bring it anywhere weapons prohibited. During my last month of summer, we each had an internship separately. Mine was in the hospital nearby while Kito's was in an agency specializing in engineering. The time we spent apart was made up for with movies, failed times trying to cook something new, and dates. We went on a lot of dates like I think the count was 15 over 4 weeks. When school started in the fall, I really didn't want to go back because I didn't want to have to face another year of bullies but Kito was there beside me so I was less worried. We had classes in the morning and afternoon on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We work Tuesdays and Thursdays. I work at the coffee shop he works at the supermarket. The hours were weird but when we got out of college, it'd all be worth it. We had a plan set. We did not expect that on the first day, in the first class, The girl flirty shamelessly with the teacher to be Mara. I almost walked out of the class that second. I thought she was locked up. Guess not. Kito and I sat in a row closer to the back as the seats filled up. Our teacher started blabbering on about something but I was spacing out the whole time. If this dude is flirting back with Mara, I automatically don't like him. I did manage to get some notes in there at some point until class ended and Kito and I had to split up to go to different classes. He squeezed my hand before going to his class and I went to mine. I ended up in the same class as Mara and I could feel her glare across the room the entirety of class. I wanted to go over there and smash her head into the table but I just chewed my nails all through class instead. I caught up with Kito in our last class for the morning and Mara wasn't there.

"She was watching me all morning," I said. The class hadn't started yet and we were sitting in the back watching everyone file in. "She looked like she was plotting a way to kill me."

"Makes sense, she still hates you," Kito said, sketching me onto a page in his notebook. "Want to report her?"

"Can't, she hasn't done anything yet," I said, looking at the detail on my face.

"So, we actually have to wait for her to try something before we can report her," he questioned.

"Yup," I said. The bell rang and our teacher walked in. Kito showed me the final project and it was a perfect replication of me. I smiled at it as the chatter died down and the teacher started lecturing. He must've seen me dazing off so he asked me a question expecting me to say something stupid but instead I answered correctly while waiting for him to continue teaching. I love that these teachers are cocky and think their students need help staying on track, but I'm really only here because it's mandatory to become a doctor. Otherwise, I'd really be there already. At lunch, I was relaxing outside with Kito on the bleachers in the school field. We bought nachos as we exchanged notes and ideas and while I folded origami or Kito's finished pictures, Kito kept drawing.

"You know, the library is always open and you don't have to sit in the sun for three hours," a familiar voice said. I wanted to take the weapon on my ankle and stab it into the person it belonged to.

"Yeah but we were hoping we wouldn't have to run into you, Mara," I seethed. Kai took my hand as I was aggressively clutching the paper to get me to calm down.

"What do you want?" Kito asked her.

"Just wanted to ask if you wanted a tour, alone, before your next round of classes?" she asked, trying to be sweet and stick our her breasts while ignoring the fact I was there completely.

"No thanks, I know the place pretty well actually," he replied. "And actually, my boyfriend and I are actually enjoying our lunch as is."

"Boyfriend, huh?" She questioned. "What does he have that I don't?"

"I didn't almost kill my class mate, I'm not just a pretty face, I have a heart and soul, I actually love Kai," I told her, wishing she would just kindly fuck off. "There's a lot that makes me better than you, Mara. As a partner and person. So, do us both a five, and leave us be. Kito is mine and you have to accept that. Bye bye."

I waved her off and she stormed away from the bleachers in an angry flurry and it was hard as hell not to just burst out laughing at it.

"So now I'm yours?" Kito questioned once she was far enough away.

"Yes, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise," I replied. "I probably won't win, but I'll go down trying."

"No one's saying otherwise," Kito assured me. "Wanna go swing by the cafe for coffee? They have an amazing caramel frappachino. You'll love it."

"I know, it's one of the reasons I love that cafe," I said. I took his hand and we walked to the cave together and I realise this is not a school of homophobic bastards like the last one. The kids didn't care and some girls were even holding hands. Honestly, I can deal with this school. I just really can't stand Mara. Her bullshit annoys the hell out of me and Kito. But we're together and on our way. Something just doesn't feel right.