4

"You bought an entire one-story house with furnishings, just so you wouldn't have to move out the entirety of your room?" Kito questioned as he took the other box out of the trunk. We were parked in the driveway

"Yes, do you have a problem with that?" I questioned in reply.

"Nope, just asking about our new home," he said. "We're gonna be here together for a while so we both would be able to love it."

"Oh you will," I said. "I looked at places we'd both love."

I took out the key and opened the door to the house. It was big but the inside was quaint and wasn't too...much.

(The driveway and garage are left of the steps and the fenced-off area in the far right of the picture is a backyard instead

(The driveway and garage are left of the steps and the fenced-off area in the far right of the picture is a backyard instead.)

"I hope you don't mind but I called your mom and she helped me move some of your stuff here already," I told him. "I really hope you like it. I found one with a backyard, garage, modern design plenty of light-"

Kito's lips on my shut me up as I started to ramble.

"It's perfect," Kito said. "You got out for the two of us and that's enough for me."

"Promise?" I asked.

"Promise," he replied. "Now come on, let's put away the clothes."

"Are we sharing a room or do you want separate rooms?" I asked. I really didn't want the latter but it was still an option.

"Sharing," Kito said. "I'd hate to leave my baby boy alone in such a big room all night."

We spent the next few hours going back and forth between the car and the house unpacking Kai and my stuff while listening to memes and random songs. We came back to the living room and fell into the couch, not bothering with the TV because we knew we were just gonna fall asleep anyways. I was nodding off when Kito pulled me into his lap and rested my head against his chest. I closed my eyes listening to the heartbeat of my boyfriend lull me to sleep. This is how life should be.

---(Two weeks later)---

"But the nearest sushi place is a good half-hour drive away," Kito pointed out. "And they don't even deliver. Please, don't make me go."

"No, it's your day to provide dinner and you messed up," I said. "Now, I want sushi to forgive you. Or I'll be annoying for the rest of the week. And no cuddles."

"Where are my keys?" He asked quickly.

"Thank you, baby," I said.

He stuck his tongue at me and I just did the same as he went out the door to get food. About halfway into my show, the doorbell rang. I got off the couch and opened the door to see not Kito but the bastard who left me and my sister for dead years ago. 

"Hello father," I said, irritated out of my mind. Kito wasn't back and I doubt he was close enough for him being here to end well. 

"Hello son," he said. "Already packed up and move out, huh?"

I rolled my eyes as I leaned against the door. 

"What do you want?" I asked. 

"Your mother told me that she thinks you might be dating," he replied. "And that you were given money by your school because you went to the hospital."

"What do you care about more, the money or the lover?" I asked, pointedly. "I know you really just want the money. Mom says you're rich but really you're just barely making it by."

"Listen here you little, shit," he said angrily. "Just send me the money and we won't have a problem. Or, I can walk in there, and we can play a little game called who can I hurt worse, you or your girlfriend."

"The money's gone old man," I said. "And if you walk in here, I've got the police and Olivia on speed dial."

"Where the hell did you spend $200,000?" My father asked. 

"80,000 was spent on college funds for me and my loved one, 100 grand on this house and I'm saving the last 20 to adopt a kid," I explained. "Now, leave, you're on my property and not welcome here."

He pushed me inside the door and walked in as the door swung closed. Backing me against the wall, he held me up by my neck and held me there. There was cold metal against my stomach and then it went straight through me. All the air left in my lungs flew out and I was left lifeless in his arms as the darkness overtook my vision and my breathing gave out. When my eyes did open again, I saw bright lights and could only hear the muffled voices of people, maybe surgeons trying to get me to an OR. I blacked out a second time. 

I woke up again to a room with duller lights and a different kind of feeling, less stressed. Everything was dazed and my body hurt on levels that don't have a scale. There was a tube in my mouth that was contracting at my throat. I coughed and tried to reach up to take out the tube but someone's hands were on mine faster than I could raise my arm slightly. Someone came and took out the tube and I coughed to get my throat to readjust. There was still a tube in my nose to help with air but I could breathe again. The nurse left the room and there was someone at the door, a woman with a military cap on. If that's Olivia then the person beside me is Kito. I shifted my hand into Kito's to tell him I was awake. I wanted to talk and tell him I was alright and asked what happened but no sound left my mouth.  

"Ryan, you're okay, you got hurt," Kito explained. "You can't use your voice right now. You're safe."

"Yeah, he's safe but the bastard still got away," Olivia seethed. I raised my arm and summoned her over. "Who the hell did this to you?"

'Father' I signed. When we were younger, Olivia and I weren't supposed to talk because it would upset our mother so we taught ourselves sign language to be able to talk in our rooms at night. Her entire face went dark with a turned-up mouth, a vein popping up from how hard her jaw clenched. 

"Kito, make sure my brother stays safe," she said.  "Ryan, I know you don't want to turn him in but we can't let him get away with it this time. Not again."

I nodded and she smiled at my decision. 

"I'll be back but the press is gonna have a field day on this one," she explained. "Time we brought all the skeletons out the closet. I'll tell the nurse not to let anyone in here, and Kito, if you see a face you don't recognize, you call security. Do not leave his side, I don't care for what reason."

"Is food a reason?" he asked. 

"No, it's excused but not for more than 10 minutes," she said. She walked to the door and slid it open. "Ryan, please stop worrying me. We're the only family we have that count and I can't lose you too. If you make me cry, I won't forgive you."

I smiled at her before nodding the best I could. She walked from the door and I turned back to Kito who was sitting in the chair beside my bed, holding my hand and watching me with a protectiveness that shouldn't be there. 

"Baby boy, we have to stay from the hospital more," he said. "You shouldn't scare me like that. Also, who did this to you? Liv got it but I didn't. Oh right, your voice, um...here" he handed me a notepad and a pen. My wavery hand shook as I picked up the pen but Kito took my hand and I helped keep it steady as I wrote out father on the paper. "Y-your father? I thought you haven't seen him in years?" 

'I haven't' I wrote. 'He just showed up asking for money. He choked me as he held me against the wall and after that everything went dark.'

"Ryan I'm so sorry," he said. "I shouldn't have left."

'If you hadn't we both would've ended up getting hurt,' I wrote. 'My father was trained to kill and didn't stop until it was done. He would've killed you. I can't live with that.'

The nurse walked in and told us that she had to draw blood for final testing before I could be released. A few days here then I was free to go. And then I had to explain to Kito who my father was exactly and what he had done. It wasn't pretty in any way. But he should get to hear it.