~A Easter garden party~

April, 1974

~ Finally spring had truly sprung- blossoms were starting to bloom on the trees the dark evenings had begun to give way to brighter nights, and a hazy sunshine now covered the days with a warm, hazy glow. How welcome these bright days were after the long, dark days of winter. And with the blooming season of spring brought with it the Easter holidays, the long weekend just days away. 

                You had been very busy with your work recently, so you had barely had a chance to keep up with the days, and you had barely realized that Easter was just round the corner. Your work working full time at the local store were long days, and keep your days busy. And you had not been the only one who had been very busy lately. Some friends of yours had been busy too-some very famous friends infact. These very fabulous people whom you were lucky enough to call friends were none other than those members of the fabulous rock band Queen- recently having had marvelous chart success with the release of their single the wonderfully catchy 'Killer Queen', a big hit for them and bringing them to even greater heights of fame and popularity-and you couldn't have been more proud of your four greatly talented musician friends. And how had you come to know these marvelous musicians? Well, it went a few years back, infact in the very early days of the group, when Queen was still yet to form- you had met their fabulous lead singer, Freddie Mercury-first, for you and he had attended the same college together in London, and would regularly bump into each other there. Not long after Freddie had told you of a group whose shows he would regularly go to see, named smile, of which two members were none other than Brian May and Roger Taylor, and would even bring you along a couple of times with him to go watch their shows, which were always interesting. From there, and  alot had quickly progressed in just couple of short years time-their old singer had left the band, Freddie had joined the band, they changed their band name to Queen, and had acquired a fabulous  bassist by the name of John Deacon, a record deal, and by now already had two albums out- 'Queen' and 'Queen 2'. You had watched these changes over this time with pride for their great talents and the recognition this was bringing them excitement at how things were developing and progressing for them as a band. For just as you and Freddie had hit it off when you had first met, you also had developed friendships with the other three as well-even with John Deacon, whom you found to be the quietest member out of the whole group.

              Recently, however, you hadn't been able to spend a lot of time seeing your friends-or infact been able to see them at all. Queen had been over seas these past few months on a tour of America- and it seemed like ages since you had last seen them, and you missed the laughs and good times that you had when you all got together. However, you knew that they were soon due to come home over the spring break- and you had been delighted when Freddie had called you on the phone to tell you that they were back for over the spring break, and happily told you all about the tales from the tour that they had just been on, and knowing Freddie-he sure did have some stories to tell!! Some stories were funny, and some were outrageous, but all were entertaining and above all you were just happy to hear your friends voice again after his being away for a few months. Freddie had ended your conversation by saying it would be great to see you in person and catch up more properly over tea, and invited you over for the Easter sunday, to which you happily excepted the invitation-it would be so great to see him and catch up in person.

             That Easter weekend, and the Easter Sunday, you were blessed with glorious weather and the Easter Sunday dawned bright and sunny. You woke early and washed and dressed up in your best flowery yellow sundress complete with a yellow head band to match, and decided to bring with you as a small gesture a bottle of wine with you, and headed over to Freddie's place-his place that he had in London-for noon midday. You were very much looking forward to seeing him-you always had a good time whenever you met up, and you knew that Freddie always enjoyed having guest over and loved playing the host, and was always so generous, another thing that you loved about him. As soon as you had arrived at his place and rang the bell, the front door had opened and you were greeted by a smiling Freddie Mercury, dressed in one of those fabulous jackets that he like to wear likely that he had got from one of the market stalls that he had worked years before, pre-Queen.

                       'Darling!', He had greeted you with a fabulous Freddie grin 'It's so great to see you! It's been awhile, hasnt't it?' He said, stretching out his arms to you for a hug, which you gladly gave him. 

'Yes, Freddie-it seems like it's been ages since last saw you', you said, enveloped in his hug 'It's so good to see you!'

'You too, darling! You must come outside with me, I have a surprise waiting for you!', he said excitedly, taking your hand, with the bottle of wine you had brought with you in the other, he lead you through the front sitting room, through the double doors that lead out to the back garden. And the sight that met your eyes certainly was a surprise. For you were not the only guest invited here this afternoon, you discovered. No-some others were already gathered there- and not just any other someones-Brian, Roger, and John were stood there under the hazy afternoon spring sunshine, gathered round a wooden table, which you could see had been set for a picnic- and there was certainly quite an assortment laid out-Rolls, different kinds of sandwiches, fruits, sweet cakes and biscuits, not to mention a variety of beverages to drink. You could also see that he had gone through some trouble to decorate the garden for this occasion- steamers and hanging decoration had been hung from and between the trees decorated the garden. And it wasn't just your friends from Queen-Freddie had invited some others too, whom you didn't recognize-you reckoned that they must be people they knew from the bands record company.

              'Y/N!', Brian stopped chatting and turned to greet you-his long curls falling round his face as he did- as soon as he saw you 'You made it then! It's so great to see you! What with the tour and all, it seems like ages since we've last been able to catch up! Freddie said that he'd invited you by today! You look nice, I must say!'

You smiled at the compliment 'Thank you, Brian, and it's so good to see you too! And I wish I could say that I'd known you guys would be here too, but Freddie didn't tell me that he'd invited all you guys as well!! And he certainly didn't tell me there was going to be a garden party!'

'Well my dear', Freddie said grinning at you 'It wouldn't have been such a surprise if I'd told you the guys were going to be here now, would it? Isn't it a fabulous surprise?'

You couldn't help but smile back- 'Yes, Freddie-it's really wonderful to be able to spend this time with all you guys!'

'Consider this my treat, darling! I know that you've been working very hard lately too while we've been away touring- but it's important to play hard too, dear, so go ahead and have a great afternoon, and help yourself anything you fancy from the picnic!' He said, handing a drink from the picnic table.

      'Freddie, this is wonderful-You're wonderful. Thank you so much for inviting me here-And Happy Easter.' You said, turning to give Freddie another hug.

'Happy Easter, my dear. Now come, lets all have a fabulous afternoon!'

And that you certainly did. You had a wonderful Easter day, in the entertaining company of your friends, sitting on the greenery of the grass in the glorious afternoon sunlight sipping on a fruit cocktail and happily laughing and sharing stories as the long afternoon turned into you staying until well into the  late evening.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************