19. Wager

I wasn't a huge baseball fan, but the moment we entered the kitchen and I saw the game on the flat-screen TV hanging on the wall, I was suddenly the Detroit Tiger's biggest fan. Opening day was one of the grandest days of the year and Jordan and I would usually skip out of work, go downtown, and get wasted for it. I'd threaten the guys who harassed us, and we'd have a fantastic time. Times like this, I missed Jordan the most. Whenever I needed a laugh, she was there with an endless supply.

Darren and I sat down at the kitchen island where two dinner plates were set. The game was at the beginning of the first inning and I leaned over the counter intently to watch, rubbing my temples to ease a headache that was growing into a migraine. I was acutely aware that if I happened to lean over too far, I would expose my ass, and since I wasn't ready to witness the bloodshed that would occur from my exposure, I decided it was in my best interest to follow Darren's rules. I wasn't a fan of going commando, but I supposed at this point, I didn't have a choice.

"Headache?" Darren suddenly asked me.

"Mmhmm." I nodded, closing my eyes.

"Why didn't you ask for some aspirin?"

I looked at him dumbfounded. It had never occurred to me to ask him for anything because somehow I always thought either the answer would be no or I would be in trouble simply for asking.

"I ... I didn't think ...' I really didn't know how to answer him.

"Would you like some aspirin?" he asked softly.

"Yes, please."

He then stood from his chair and walked over to one of the cabinets in the kitchen. Pulling out a small white bottle, he poured some pills in his hand and came back with two little white pills. I pinched the pills out of his hand and swigged them back with the glass of water by my plate.

"Thank you," I said, setting the glass down and wiping my mouth.

"Jaden," he said, taking my hands in his as he stood before me. "I don't want you to remain under the impression that you can't come to me when you need something. Just as you have an obligation to please me, I have an obligation to take care of you. But it's more than just an obligation, Jaden. I want to take care of you, but I can't do that fully unless you're honest with me. If you need something, tell me, and I will do everything I can to make it happen. Understand?"

"Okay, I understand." I nodded.

"Good. Now, eat your dinner and watch the game."

I looked down at my plate, noticing the steak, baked potato, and green beans practically over flowing from my plate, and I was suddenly starving. The steak was fantastic, and I chewed slowly, savoring the taste as I watched Cabrera score a home run.

It was the strangest thing. One minute, Darren was chasing me down and chaining me to his bed, and the next, he was tender and sincere while giving me painkillers for a headache he probably caused. I couldn't figure him out. He was like a damn Sour Patch Kid. Sour one minute and sweet the next. I had only been here three days, and I could already find myself craving the softer side of him ... because it made me feel safer ... and special ...

How twisted was that?

Around the sixth inning, we had finished our dinner and Darren took our plates and set them in the sink. I was stuffed and my headache was finally gone as I planted my elbows on the counter and rested my chin in my hands, watching the rest of the game. I was finally starting to feel human again as Verlander threw a curve ball and struck the batter out.

"Ha!" I smirked at the TV. The score was now tied three to three with the Tigers up to bat.

"I wouldn't get too excited," said Darren as he came back around to the island and sat down.