40. The Wait

I woke up hours later, groggy, thirsty, and with a pounding headache. I barely opened my eyes to find I was, in fact, not back at Darren's, but what looked like a prison cell for solitary confinement. I was lying on a padded bench, surrounded by cement walls, a toilet and sink, and a large door with a single small square window. Panic rushed me.

Lying back down on the bench, I tried to calm myself down. I was nearly shaking now. Darren was probably well aware of the situation, and I wondered if I had possibly ruined his important business trip. Would he come home from it because of my escape or would he continue on knowing his cop buddies had successfully apprehended me? It didn't really matter. He would be furious anyway, and my punishment would probably last weeks, if not months. Whatever—it was worth it.

Gathering my strength, I slowly stumbled my way to the sink and began dragging handfuls of water to my desert of a mouth. The water calmed my roiling stomach and brought me back to the present as I splashed it on my face. I felt a little better after quickly using the toilet and rinsing my hands and arms under the sink.

Then that sheriff fuck came in without so much as a knock as I dried myself off with some paper towel.

"Well, look who's up?" he said enthusiastically with a grin.

I glared at him from across the room, instinctively pulling my left leg back and giving him only the side of my body to face.

"The fuck do you want?" I asked with a scowl.

He let out a deep sigh before finally speaking.

"Jaden, I'm Sheriff Hagen. We've met previously, you remember?"

"Like I could forget."

"Of course," he said with a nod. "Well, I'm in charge of safety for this little town you just tried to run through last night."

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"How safe can it be if you have a criminal organization living right under your doormat?" I asked him.

"Oh, you mean Mr. Davis?" he asked casually.

"Yeah, that asshole."

"Well, you see," he started, "I've been working with the Davis's for over twenty years now. I've grown to realize what works and what doesn't work and how to keep our little town and employees happy."

"By sleeping with the devil? You sound like a real hero."

"When you're in my position, Jaden, you do what you have to do to keep the peace, and if keeping off Mr. Davis's tail accomplishes that, then I have no problem with it."

"You mean so long as he continues to pay you for your discretion ..."

"Well, to each their own." He chuckled as if it was no big deal.

I shook my head at him. What a piece of shit.

"Anyway, I came to tell you that Mr. Davis is aware of the situation and has requested that we keep you in our custody until he returns from his trip to collect you."

I rolled my eyes and looked away from him. "And just when will that be?"

"Tomorrow, I believe."

"Well, why don't you go ahead and tell him to take his sweet-ass time. There's no rush," I replied venomously.

"Sure." He smiled and started to head out, but then turned back to the door and suddenly turned the lights out. I looked over to him in a panic, but he just smirked at me.

"Oh, I was also asked to keep these off until he said otherwise," Hagen answered and then shut the door. The only light I had was the small amount shining in from the hallway, which wasn't much. I was then left alone in the dark and I curled into myself on the mattress, silent tears falling down my cheeks until I fell asleep.