35. Crumble

I heard screaming. Sharp screams that pierced my ears. I could see the gardener screeching in fear, his face and body covered in blood as he watched while his family was murdered in front of his eyes. But someone else was standing in the background, someone I had forced myself to forget long ago. Megan, the girl from the warehouse, whom I had tried to instill hope in only for her to have her neck snapped by Darren right in front of my eyes. I now had two deaths to claim responsibility for and it made me weep.

"Your fault," Megan said in the background as she watched the gardener with calm indifference.

"No," I whispered back, my tears ready to drown me.

Then a loud bang shattered my ears and a small black and red bullet hole appeared between the eyes of the gardener.

My vision warped until I suddenly saw my family, my friends ... Jason. They were all running, running from a storm of bullets that rained down on them from all directions. Blood spilled and splattered everywhere, coating everything in a dark glossy red. I fought to save them, but I felt paralyzed, unable to move even an inch to try to help them. I watched as both of my younger brothers fell to the ground, deep crimson soaking their clothes, the light slowly draining from their eyes.

I jolted from my sleep as a scream ripped from my throat, shredding my vocal cords. My breath came in and out in heavy gusts as I fought to calm myself down. Sweat covered my body while my fingers gripped the tangled sheets around me. I tried to get a grip on myself and released the sheets before my knuckles decided to burst through my skin. I ran my hands through my hair and took several long, deep breaths, but as I started to finally calm down, I realized I was back in my room and I was not alone.

I raised my eyes to find Darren sitting on the chaise next to the window watching me. Shadowed in darkness, I couldn't see his face very well, but I knew exactly where his eyes were.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him angrily.

"Do I really need a reason?" he answered calmly.

I suppose not.

I let the question linger before he stood from the chaise and walked over to the bed. I shot out from the covers and moved to the other side to avoid him as best I could. As I moved, my clothing felt different. I was no longer in the torn dress I wore earlier but in one of those silky nightgowns. No bra or panties.

"Now is not the time to fight me, Jaden. It's after one in the morning. Get back into bed," he said as he slowly sauntered toward me.

"Get. Out," I spat, my body turning to the side as it prepared for a fight.

Darren shook his head at me disapprovingly, his light footsteps beginning to close the distance between us. I could feel the panic mixed with rage creating a storm of hatred and passion inside of me. And fuck if it didn't drench me.

"Get back in bed," he ordered sternly, pointing at my messy bed.

"No," I replied harshly.

Oh, shit. The forbidden word.

Darren then lunged for me with an animalistic scowl on his face. I quickly backed up from his advance, but just before my back was about to hit the wall behind me, I brought my foot all the way up and shoved it right under his chin at his throat, nearly stopping him in his tracks. My leg was in a full split as it stretched as high as it could go to reach Darren's trachea.

He stood there, towering over me with my foot neatly tucked under his chin as it pushed against his Adam's apple. My fists remained in front of me, tight and defensive as I stared him right in the eye, glaring with everything I had, but all he did was smirk at me with a certain knowing smile.