Chapter 19: "Erik is crying"

"Alright Alex, let's try to keep the beam directly in front of you." Charles spoke. Ali stopped by her room to put on her bracelets, making sure the small click fastened them in place. Hank complained about her thin wrist all the time.

"It's like you've never had a meal all week." He complained as he took them from her to make her smaller. "Seriously, after this is over, I'm doing a medical check up on you. Complete."

"You sure you don't want to see me naked, Hank?" Ali smirked at Hank's bright red face. "Calm down. I'll do the check up, as long as I can keep my shirt on."

"You..you can." Hank stammered before silently shuffling toward Alex and Charles. Ali smirked as she tightened her bracelets further. Perfect.

"Alright. Let's do this." Ali turned the bracelets on, and pulled the light toward her hands. Shield up. She privately wondered why exactly it was that Charles never had her work on her blasts. Those did actually tax her a lot more than the shields did, but she wasn't going to be able to fight with a bunch of shields.

To wonder of wonders, Charles wasn't leaving. Hank started walking before he realized that he was still there. Hank ended up standing next to Ali as did Charles.

"Why aren't you leaving?" Ali asked.

"I'm staying." Charles stated.

"I'm not. Good day." Hank started to walk before he stopped and started to grumble before coming back and standing next to Ali once more.

"Try to hit Ali." Charles stated. Alex stared at him in horror.

"No!" Alex exploded. "I'm not doing that."

"You will not hit me or Hank, Alex." Charles tried to convince. "Nothing will happen to us."

"You don't know that! Last I checked, you could read minds, not the future!" Alex retorted, a red glow coming from his body. Ali's eyes widened.

"Professor, McCoy, get out of here." Ali insisted. "I'll talk to him."

"But-"

"Now, Professor!" Ali glared. Charles and Hank left the room quickly as Alex tried to breathe and keep the glow down unsuccessfully."

"You can let go Summers." Ali spoke after the bunker door shut. Alex breathed, and the red stream hit her shield, vaporizing it, but this time she didn't fall.

"You can see why I hate this, Nichols." Alex ran his fingers through his hair. "They're going to get themselves killed."

"You know that I can create a shield around all of us, right?" Ali asked in a sarcastic tone.

"Yes, but it's more than that, Nichols!" Alex snapped, sinking to the floor. "I'm a disaster."

"No, you're not a disaster." Ali sat down next to him. "Nothing will happen to them."

"They're going to die." Alex snapped.

"Look, Summers, we can sit here and watch you wallow about how you killed people. Or, you can improve and hopefully not kill anymore." Ali replied.

"But I'm not better than what I was before, Nichols." Alex replied. "I'm still having a disaster. To this day, I've only hit the target once, and that time was an accident."

"Then make history today Summers." Ali scoffed. She put her hand down to help him up. "Get up and make this work, Summers. I'm done taking pity and I'm done giving it." Alex looked at her before grabbing her hand and pulling himself up.

Ali opened the bunker and let the two men in. "We'll do this."

"You got him to do it?" Charles asked. Ali nodded.