Chapter 28: "Lucky, huh?"

Raven walked toward Erik, slightly hesitant but still sure of herself. In spite of herself, Ali tried to follow her, but someone gasped her wrist. She snatched her wrist out of Alex's grip and ran toward her.

"Raven?" Ali quietly whispered. She turned back to look at her, and her expression almost made her cry.

"Ali." Raven mumbled. Ali didn't waste her time before wrapping her arms around her neck, burying her face on her shoulder.

"Please stay." Ali cried. "Don't leave." She grasped her tighter. She really didn't want her to leave. Of all people, why her?

"Then come with me." Raven replied sadly. "We'll be free."

"It's not freedom, Raven." Ali unwound her arms from her neck. "I want to follow you. I really do. But-"

"But what?" Raven seemed to look through her. "What's tying you down here? Do you not care enough about me to come with me?"

"Raven, I care! More than you think." Ali exploded. She was trying to tell this girl how she felt, and she wasn't helping.

"Then why?" Raven's voice cracked. At least she seemed as upset as her.

"I can't join someone who worked for the man who killed my mom." Ali wiped the tears from her eyes. "That man took everything from me."

"They're not him." Raven tried. "They're not going to do that."

"I'm sorry, Raven." Ali sobbed. "I want to say that I'm okay, but I'm really not."

"Ali.." Raven's eyes glistened with tears. She hugged once more, grasping her tightly. "I'm-"

Ali covered Raven's mouth with her hand. "Don't say something that we both know isn't true."

Raven weakly nodded. She drew back from Ali. No, please. Ali felt tears collecting in her eyes as she saw Raven leave. She backed into Alex, wiping the tears from her eyes.

Raven turned to face her brother lying on the sand. She bent down and grabbed his hand, using the other to wipe tears from her eyes.

"You should go with him. It's what you want." Charles weakly stated.

"You promised me that you would never read my mind." Raven chuckled sadly.

"I promised you a great many things, I'm afraid." Charles nodded weakly to her. "I'm sorry."

Raven kissed her brother's forehead lightly. "Take care of him." She mumbled to Moira, who gently nodded. She walked over to Erik, about to join hands.

"Raven!" Ali yelled. Raven turned back just before Ali threw her arms around her one last time. "I'm sorry I can't go."

"I'm sorry I can't stay." Raven cried on her shoulder. She pressed a soft kiss half on her cheek, half on her lips. "Take care of yourself."

"Be careful, Raven." Ali mumbled. Raven detached herself just before she could say the words. I l- ghosted across her lips when she saw her leave, this time with no stopping her.

Raven joined Erik and turned to face them one last time. "And Beast!" Raven called out, trying not to cry. "Mutant.." She choked. "And proud." A resounding crack echoed through the beach when they all disappeared in a cloud of red smoke.

They were gone. And Ali's support was gone with them.

Holding in her sobs, she rushed over to Charles along with everyone else. They all gathered around him, trying to lift him up.

"Wait Charles, don't move." Hank commanded.

"I do-Actually-I...can't feel my legs. I can't feel my legs. I can't feel my legs. I can't feel my legs. I can't feel my legs." Charles cried as he hugged himself, sobbing.