Healing // Chapter 19

~ Athena's eyes

Heartbroken. Heartbroken was the only word that could describe my state.

No tears left my eyes, the emptiness in my stomach was worse than any sob. It was that kind of sadness that consumed you on the inside, making sure that you weren't able to crack a smile, not even thinking about puppies. I read the conversation over and over, trying to discover any mistake that I could've made. My mind was playing every single memory like a movie on repeat. Every smile, every laugh, every kiss, every melody, every hug. But you know what hurted the most? The fact that I've known this man since I was a teen, he saved my fucking life, that's what hurted the most. That I've known him for a long time, but I never really knew who he was.

Soon, the sadness became anger. My fists were clenched and my mind was racing with every single memory.

"Bullshit!"  he yelled "Don't give up on us Ath, please. I believe we can do it. I like you and I know you like me" A single tear trickled down my face and I looked down "Give it a try Ath, if we fall down, let's fall down together. Don't you believe in me?"

Pure Bullshit! That was the only thing it was! Bullshit! Manipulation! Lies, pure lies! I was angry, I was mad, I was sad, I was heartbroken! I should've never posted that stupid cover!

"Ath, are you crying?" Anna's soft voice interrupted my anger

I wiped the tear that dared to drop and scoffed "I didn't even realize I was" I whispered

She rushed over to me and wrapped her arms around my figure "What happened?" She asked

"He gave up on us Ann, he just gave up" I whispered in between ugly sobs

My sister's eyes widened and her face showed pure disappointment

"What do you mean he gave up?"

"He just left! We were happy, everything was alright, and he just changed his mind out of nowhere!" I made a brief pause "Did I do something wrong?"

"Oh no Ath, you did nothing wrong. I saw you both together, and you were as happy as you could ever be. It was impossible to get that smile off your faces"

"Then why did he leave?" I whispered "Why did he just end it all?"

She grabbed my phone and read the conversation. Her eyes scanning every single word.

"I mean, he didn't leave? He just asked to be friends..." I knew she was trying to make me feel better, but she was awfully failing.

I scoffed again

"You know what? You are Athena Rivers, and you need no man to be happy! You are a powerful and beautiful independent woman who doesn't need any man to make her happy!"

Soon, I started gaining confidence

"Yeah, I don't need any man to be happy" I nodded my head

"You are enough by yourself!"

"Yeah! I am enough by myself"

"And you know what?" She asked

"What!" I responded a bit too loud

"We are gonna go to the mall, and we are gonna get coffee!"

"But I don't like coffee..."

"Right... Then we are gonna go to the mall, and we are gonna get hot chocolate!"