More Birthdays // Chapter 26

A/N: This chapter is gonna be in a third persons' pov bc I want you guys to see both perspectives anyways enjoy <3

~ Their eyes

Niall's words never left Athena's mind after that day, well, Niall in general never left her mind, he was always wandering in there even when she couldn't even tell. Sometimes it was some connections she used to make, associating normal stuff with the way he used to do them, or maybe it was the blue sky that wasn't clouded since Athena landed Los Angeles and reminded her of his eyes, or maybe it was just him, and only him.

It really bothered Athena, she hated those times in which she couldn't figure out what the fuck was going on inside of her head, it made her mad that she couldn't sort out her own feelings when she was the only one that actually felt them. The truth is that Niall never left her mind, no matter how hard she tried to forget him. Maybe she was mad because it was her birthday, and she was constantly wondering if he was gonna tell her something, maybe give her a gift, or a simple 'Happy Birthday'. However, Athena was still in bed with her eyes fluttered closed, debating if she should get up or stay in the comfy bed.

Niall's mind wasn't very different from Athena's, he still thought about her daily, who could blame him? He was wearing the sweatshirt she gave him while playing the guitar she gave him as well. While Athena wanted to forget Niall, Niall wanted to do the opposite, Niall wanted to remember Athena and he was sure that he would do anything to have her back. The difference between both cases is that Athena got her heart broken, while Niall was the one that broke it.

Niall was having an internal fight with his pride, trying to decide if he was gonna go see her and wish her a happy birthday, or if he was gonna pretend as if he didn't remember it, and as if that date wasn't highlighted on his agenda with bold letters that said 'Ath's birthday'. Finally, when Niall won the fight against his pride and decided that he should wish her a happy birthday, it took him about two seconds to carefully put the guitar away, and spray some cologne on his neck that he knew she loved. Niall carefully closed the door and walked over the room in which the girl that is driving him crazy was currently staying in.

When Niall finally reached the door something caught his attention, the door was open, not closed, not locked, open. Panic started to grow in his chest as the thought of his girl getting hurt took over his mind. His eyebrows were furrowed like they always were when he was thinking about something deeply. Ignoring, well, trying to ignore the thoughts that were now living rent free in his mind, he decided to enter the room and look for his girl.

"Hello?" He called out "Athena?"

Not getting an answer only made him more nervous and scared. He carefully tiptoed to the first room he saw, opening the door a bit and taking a small look inside. And there she was, sleeping peacefully. Niall took in her appearance, she was in the middle of the mattress, hugging a pillow with both of her arms as her chubby cheeks were slightly smashed against the pillow, her hair was in a bun and her body was covered by an oversized t-shirt. Her lips were slightly parted and her breathing was steady. Niall felt like a creep considering that he was entertained by something as absurd as Athena's chest rising up and down showing that she was breathing. It was weird, Niall knew it, it was weird that he calmed down by the way her chest rose with every breath she took, it was weird that he was calm just because she was, in fact, breathing. 

Knowing that he shouldn't, Niall walked over to Athena and sat at the edge of her bed, his hand slowly finding the way to her cheek and caressing her face with his thumb. Athena knew it was Niall, she knew it perfectly, she knew it by sensing his familiar cologne, she knew it by the way his hand caressed her cheek, she knew it because she felt home.