Wool's

30th June 1992

"Emmy! Mail's here!" I groaned as I sat up in my bed, the springs squeaking against one another as the moved under my body, pressing and releasing against my back. Fixing my auburn hair and pulling the creases from my jumper, I ran from my empty room and down the rounded staircase, to the living room of the orphanage. After being passed from family to family over almost eleven years, I found it somewhat humorous that the Royal Mail had a recent address for me. I had only been at Wool's for a few months, after my last foster parents sent me back due to suspicious circumstances. We had an argument, which coincidentally lead to a pipe bursting and flooding the house. Somehow, it was my fault.

"Thanks Gemima." I took the letter from her and, true as she had said, it was addressed to me. It had been wax-sealed with a Sigel; the letter 'H' in the centre, begging me to open. My fingers tore the envelope to shreds without as much as a second thought and within moments I was reading the words inscribed onto the page.

'Dear Miss Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Students will be required to report to the Chamber of Reception upon arrival. Please find an enclosed list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1st 1992. We await your owl no later than July 31st. To avoid detection by muggles, please use the entrance located at King's Cross Station, Downtown London, on Platform 9 3/4. We look forward to having you at our school.

Yours Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress'

I shook my head in disbelief, knowing that this could only be some sort of prank on behalf of the other children at the orphanage. They had always called me weird - abnormal. A witch. Besides, magic is not real. Ripping the letter to shreds, I threw it into a bin and disappeared back up to my room, knowing that they would all be laughing at me in that moment. If only a place such as Hogwarts truly did exist. I could escape this godforsaken orphanage forever. But it didn't. And I won't. I only had seven more years, and I can leave my own way, and finally get out of this horrible system.

31st July 1992

"Emerald. There is somebody here that would like to meet you." Mrs Jones spoke in the doorway, one of our councillor's. Rolling my eyes at her soft-spoken, chirpy attitude, I found myself almost in disbelief at the actual figure standing behind her. A man, no older than forty with long, raven hair and eyes to match. He donned a black cloak, only making his complexion even paler than it already was. His eyes were tearful, as though he was meeting an old friend. But I had never seen this man before. A stranger, nothing more.

He stepped into the light, a smile forcing its way through his pursed lips. "Who are you?" I spoke confusedly, twiddling my thumbs. He took another step, closing the gap between us ever so slightly. "My name is Professor Snape. I am a potions teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I believe our deputy headmistress sent a letter to this address but it was ignored?" He raised his eyebrows expectantly, but the sheer shock on my face was hard to conceal. He waited for a response, and I found myself too stunned to do so.

"Are you not Miss Emerald Lily Potter?" Plunging me back into reality, I nodded finally. "Y-Yes I am." He scoffed, "So, where is your letter?" The Professor pressed further. I fumbled a little, "I threw it in the bin. I-I didn't think it was real." I stammered.

The Professor looked a little disappointed at my statement, but he reached into his cloak, nevertheless, and took out a stick, small engraving carved into it so intricately. "Does this look real to you?" And as he spoke the words so sarcastically, three sparks shot from his wand and created a small fireworks display in my room. I gasped as the bursts of colour ignited the entire room, causing an array of butterflies to explode in my stomach uncontrollably.

"I don't understand. How is this possible?" I questioned in disbelief. The fireworks faded into nothing once again, and I almost had to convince myself it ever happened. Snape sighed, growing solemn for a moment as his gaze averted to the ground. "All will be explained in time, my dear. But I will leave you now with a new letter, and come to collect you the day before term starts. We will need to get you your uniform, books and everything else you need before you start." He rose from his seat, making his way towards the door swiftly.

"But, Professor!" I called after him, running down the hallway. He came to a halt, his cloak flowing with the wind as he turned to face me once again. "-I don't have any money to buy all of those things." I finished, hoping it wouldn't jeopardise my place with the school.

He shook his head nonchalantly, "Your mother and father did not leave you without anything, my dear. I can imagine that you have not been told a great deal about them both Another thing we will need to discuss when we see each other again. Goodbye, Miss Potter." And with that, he completely disappeared in a cloud of black smoke. I gasped, glancing around to make sure that nobody else had seen. Almost momentarily, Mrs Jones appeared from around a corner. "Oh! Has he gone?" She gasped. I nodded, my moth agape in disbelief once more. She tsked, "Close your mouth, dear. You're not a codfish!" Before disappearing down the other hallway.

My parents. Nobody had ever even mentioned them in my entire life! Could this Professor Snape know more about them both? Could they possibly still be alive? All I knew was, that I couldn't wait for us to meet again, and talk about my mum and dad. I had always imagined what they were like. I hope that they love me. I had tried not to grow hateful towards them over the years. But this-Professor Snape-there was something so wonderfully mysterious about him. Who was he? Hopefully, as promised, all will be revealed in time.