A Hard Truth

"Miss Potter? Is everything alright?" Dumbledore's pacing came to a halt as his azure eyes found mine. I fumbled with my dressing gown string, it being the late hours of the following morning as I found myself unable to sleep in my empty dorm; the water rippling against the windows and Pearl purring in her sleep being my only salvation from the words that Petunia Dursley had projected into my mind earlier the previous day.

"I-I don't think so, Professor." I sighed, averting my eyes to the stone floor of his office.

"Take a seat. I've got a pot of tea that's perfectly brewed and enough to share." His soft voice informed, taking a seat by his desk as I nodded and followed in suit. The Headmaster waved his wand, the teapot hovering above the cup and saucer and beginning to pour of its own accord. "Do you take sugar?" Dumbledore's voice was suddenly loud in the silent room.

I nodded, "One please." The milk poured itself, Dumbledore handing the teacup to me without magic, allowing the both of us to take a sip before he began to speak. "Your training with Professor Snape has paid off, I see." The Headmaster noted, causing my momentary confusion to be replaced with the realisation that he had tried to quietly slip into my mind, to no avail.

My lips pursed at the mention of his name, trying to conceal my worry as I took another sip. "Indeed. It's actually Professor Snape I wanted to talk to you about, Headmaster." Dumbledore appeared slightly curious at my statement, leaning forth in his seat to show his interest in my concerns, "I'm listening, my dear."

I took a deep breath; shakier than I had realised or intended, for I hated talking about anybody without their presence- especially Severus. He had done so much for me, the guilt curdling in my stomach causing me to put my tea down onto the desk and eye Dumbledore, hoping he could alleviate my worries. "Is he...Bad?"

Dumbledore's lips curled in the corner slightly, as though he had almost anticipated I would ask this question. "Professor Snape has been a rather...grey person...In the many years that I have known him, Emerald. In the past, he had made many mistakes that have costed him, dearly. But, I believe, today...He is more good than bad." He finalised and I could tell he was choosing his words very carefully.

"Oh." Was all I could muster.

"Why do you ask?" Dumbledore pried, causing my to shrug and shake my head, confusedly. None of what I had heard earlier was making sense. "My Aunt Petunia had a thought earlier about him that worried me, is all. She said that Sev-" I quickly corrected, "-Professor Snape...Is the reason that my mum died."

Dumbledore sat back in his seat now, taking a careful breath as he laced his fingers and placed his palms into his lap. "Twelve years ago...Professor Snape overhead a conversation that he wasn't supposed to. And he fed this information back to Lord Voldemort, under the impression that it would keep your mother safe. Unfortunately, it did the opposite." The Headmaster spoke solemnly, allowing me a moment to take into account what he was saying. I gulped, "So he is, then?" The words came out harsher and more resentful than I had expected, my chest aching at the notion as I waited for Dumbledore to continue, but feeling as though I had heard enough of the conversation already.

"There are many factors that could have brought Voldemort's pursuit of your family in to play, Emerald. I believe that Professor Snape's part in this would not have affected the end result. Voldemort was hunting Muggleborns and Blood Traitors at the time of your parents' deaths. And they had defied him many times, due to their part in the First Wizarding War. It would have only been a matter of time before..." The man paused, cutting his sentence short as his mind diverted onto a different subject. "Were it not for your parents' sacrifice for Harry and yourself, I don't wish to imagine the power Lord Voldemort would have attained."

Dumbledore's words struck me then, the thoughts of the Butterfly Effect that I had been taught in a Muggle Primary School coming to mind; the idea of every action, even small, contributed towards a greater outcome. And that one small change could have affected the entire timeline of events.

"Snape worked for him, didn't he?" I asked, now much softer and more understanding than I had anticipated.

The Headmaster nodded slightly, in the corner of my peripheral vision, "He did."

"Why?" My voice cracked at the tears welling in my eyes.

"Severus he....He was led down a very dark path. I should have done more for the Slytherin house, before. And when it was too late, he realised that he had made a mistake." Dumbledore's voice was pained; an expression I did not associate with the man, often. As though he had experienced similar occurrences, in the past and it was hard for him to come to terms with.

Without contemplating what I was going to do, I placed my hand over his wrinkled one, a small, onyx ring on his pinkie finger shimmering slightly under the candlelight. "Thank you for telling me the truth." Dumbledore nodded sadly at my words, placing his remaining hand over my own and giving it a tight squeeze. "You best get yourself off to bed, young lady."

I nodded, with a smile, "I will. But let's finish our tea first."

***

The next few weeks passed quickly in the castle walls, before I found myself waiting in the courtyard, where Professor McGonagall would apparate me to the Weasley's Burrow in Devon. I would be staying for a further two weeks prior to the World Cup, Dumbledore ensuring there were many enchantments in place surrounding Mrs Weasley's home to ensure Harry and I were protected.

Slinging my father's backpack over my shoulder, I let out a wince at the fabric rubbing against my scar; where the skin was still rather sensitive. "Are you ready, my dear?" The woman's Scottish accent reverberated throughout the courtyard as I turned to face her and nodded, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Yeah." I nodded, as we began making our way to the outskirts of the school, disapparating to the Weasley Burrow. It was exactly as Harry and Ron had described it, in the past; stories high, looking as though a small house had been perched upon a row of other small houses. One of them could topple over at any moment, like a game of jenga in its last length. Magic could have been the only explanation for it remaining stable. And I could barely see the top, noting that there were approximately five chimneys expressing smoke in multi-colour.

"Professor Dumbledore has confirmed he is happy for you to stay with the Weasley's until the start of term. You can return on the Hogwart's Express with your brother, if you so wish." McGonagall's voice was stern, to which I turned to face her with a disbelieving smile. Her mind told me she was telling the truth, "Thanks, Professor. I'd love to." And without another nod, the woman disapparated, once more, allowing me to make the trek to the front door on my own.

Molly Weasley answered, shouting informalities up the stairs as she pulled me into a warm hug. "Emerald, dear, how are you!? You'll be sharing with Ginny and Hermione, when she gets here." My cheeks warmed at the woman's embrace and the heat radiating from a coal fire in the middle of the sitting room, finding myself questioning why on earth they would have a fire lit in the summer. "Emerald!" Ginny's voice sounded from the foot of the stairs, running at me and pulling me into a hug. "Hey, Ginny." I gasped through her bone-crushing attempt. "I've missed you so much in class." She sighed, setting me free as a few other figures appeared.

Ron smiled, accepting a short and rather awkward embrace, "Hey, Em. You okay?" He asked, to which I nodded. "Good thanks, Ron. You?" The boy was now the one nodding, Fred and George appearing beside their little brother. "Alright, Emerald?" They both questioned in unison, causing me to chuckle. "Fred. George." I addressed.

Harry was the last to appear, his brown-black hair creating a stark contrast in the sea of red as he pulled me into his brotherly embrace. "Missed you, Sis." Letting out an almost breath of relief, I buried my head into his shoulder and wrapped my arms around him. "I missed you too, Harry."