Harry Potter.

"Happy Birthday, Emerald!"

I gasped, appearing in the Slytherin common room to find the remaining Quidditch team members gathered by the fireplace, a pile of presents on the coffee table. I flinched, covering it with a well-hidden laugh as I made my way over to them. "Guys! You didn't have to go to al this trouble." I tusked, taking a seat on one of the couches as Draco joined my side. "Oh, it's nothing Em. Besides, just because we can't play doesn't mean we can't acknowledge our new Captain's birthday." He wrapped an arm around my shoulder with a comforting squeeze, handing me the first of the gifts; which just so happened to be his own.

A red, velvet-lined box with a beautiful, emerald bracelet inside. It must have cost a fortune, I gathered, as Draco emptied it from the box and placed it around my wrist ever so delicately. The cold metal caused a soft, tingling sensation to traverse up my arm and down my spine as I hitched a short breath. Draco did not notice, however, merely smiling in satisfaction as his blue eyes found mine. "The gemstones are charmed to change colour depending on your mood. I hope you like it." He spoke, softer than ever before as a small lock of blonde hair draped across his face. 

Nodding, I glanced down at the piece, waiting for the colour to change. "I do. Thank you, Draco. It's beautiful."

But it did not, an awkward silence of sorts, ensuing. "Overtime, of course." Draco laughed, and there was a nervousness to him as the gems remained unchanging. A small chuckle escaped from me, but nothing was happening as I continued to watch the stones.

Someone from the group coughed, extending another present and breaking my concentration. Among the pile were new quidditch supplies I needed, candy from Honeydukes. I had also been sent some chocolate and books from Remus, no doubt, from the new shop he was working in. Well and truly spoiled, I thanked the group before they all retired to their allocated dorms; but I lingered, sifting through the mountain of wrapping paper to find the present I had hidden, wishing to open alone, as I had every year.

It was much bigger than any I had seen before, cushioned and covered in the usual, obsidian wrapping paper and a ribbon to match. Inside, a note among the, seemingly-endless, fabric. What on Earth I would require such a gown for, I had no idea. Hopefully, the note would provide some explanation.

Emerald,

Your use of this gift will be a requirement in the upcoming months. I hope it is to your liking.

Happy Birthday

S.

Guilt instantly churned in my stomach as I held the dress into the light, knowing it must have costed my Professor a fortune.

"Who's that from?" I gasped, jumping from my seat to turn and face none other than a hysterical, "Malfoy!" I shrieked, angrily tossing the dress back onto the couch and running for him. He grabbed my arms preventing me from taking a swing as I could feel the embarrassment curdling in my stomach with each missed hit. "Oh, it's Malfoy, now, is it?" Draco continued to laugh, overpowering me by a mile. Yanking my hands away from him, I took a step back and angrily tucked a loose strand of my hair that had fallen from behind my ear. "You're insufferable, you know that!?"

"Ahh, always the complimentary type, Emerald Potter." He gushed, making his way over to the sofa and holding the dress to see, "Seriously, why would you need something like this, anyway?" He scoffed, to which I merely returned with a shrug, snatching the note before he had a chance to read it and placing it into my dressing gown pocket. "I'm not sure. The letter was vague and said I'll be needing it soon. Probably a Triwizard Tournament tradition, or something."

"Well, do you know who it's from? Maybe you could ask them." He suggested, but I shook my head and shrugged in protest. "Oh, it didn't say. An anonymous admirer, I suppose." I chuckled internally, knowing Snape would be seething if he knew I were to describe him, as such. By the time my eyes caught onto Draco's silence, however, I watched as a flash of something suddenly struck his face, changing the atmosphere in the room entirely.