An Old Friend

"Emerald!?" I gasped, my eyes opening wide and alert as I fumbled to grab my wand from my coat pocket. A pair of arms encased my own immediately, preventing me from doing so as I glanced towards a pair of grey eyes. They focused onto my own with determination, trying to ground me to the earth once more.

I blinked a few times, focusing my slightly blurred vision, gathering my surroundings; we were still in the compartment on the train, which had now came back to life. The lights were working, and everyone was accounted for; Harry, Ron, Hermione...And those pair of grey eyes, now filled with concern. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, glancing back to the compartment door. Harry looked a little dazed himself beside me, but he soon took me in his arms less than a moment later. "What was that thing?" He questioned the adult in the room, that had been sleeping throughout the train ride.

He released me from his embrace, allowing me to face the Professor once more as he outstretched a small bar of chocolate to us each. "It was a Dementor: one of the guards of Azkaban. It's gone now. It was searching the train for Sirius Black." He explained, shuffling in his stance on the floor as he knelt before us both.

Ron and Hermione eyed us concernedly and we watched as the man rose from his place, "Now, if you'll excuse me; I need to have a little word with the driver." I felt my head sway with dizziness, feeling the urge to be sick to overwhelm me. The man, Professor R J Lupin, met my gaze once more. "Eat! You'll both feel better." He commanded us both, causing me to take a huge bite, regardless of my nausea.

The chocolate worked more than a treat, relieving me of the feeling as I began to chomp down on the bar. I glanced over at my brother, who looked as sick as I felt. "Did you pass out as well?" I spoke through bites of chocolate. My brother nodded, "I did. Did either of you?" He averted his gaze onto Hermione and Ron, who shook their heads.

"No. I felt weird, though; like I could never be cheerful again." Ron spoke solemnly, focusing his gaze onto the floor. Harry looked dazed, "But, someone was screaming: A woman." He nodded, Hermione eyeing him concernedly. "No-one was screaming, Harry." She sighed. 

My brother's eyes now latched onto my own, hopefully, "Did you hear it, Em?" I sighed, shaking my head, "No. But I had flashes of memories-really bad ones-some I don't even remember having." I answered my brother truthfully, watching him as he glanced out towards the window, the streams of rain water trickling down effortlessly, outside. It felt calm and peaceful...But also foreboding...What were these creatures? Why did they seem to be so drawn to Harry and I? And why were they searching the train for Sirius Black, a man we were supposed to be safe and protected from, especially in Hogwarts...

***

We shortly arrived at Hogwarts, having been unconscious for a little while. The storm, however, did not stop when we arrived at the station. As opposed to the year previous, we would travel by black carriages, drawn by an invisible force.

I separated from my brother and his friends, joining the Slytherin house as Draco, myself and a few other fellow house members joined one another for the coach ride. It was faster than the boats, and I couldn't help but pity the first years that would have to travel across the lake in torrential rain, that year.

Draco had struck the conversation of our summer holidays, and I discovered that his family would take him on extremely expensive holidays each year. This year, his father took him to Bulgaria, on a luxury trip. His father worked for the Ministry, so the Malfoy's were an extremely wealthy Pureblood family; that could only marry into other pureblood families to keep their bloodline perfect and powerful.

We made our way to The Great Hall, finding our seats before the Sorting Ceremony commenced. Dumbledore welcomed the old and new students with open arms, making the usual introductory remarks regarding the Forbidden Forest being out of bounds, along with a few other corridors around the school. But the Girl's Lavatory on the second floor was now open again, thanks to the threat of the Basilisk no longer being a issue to the students. However, there was now an even deadlier threat upon the school; the threat of Sirius Black...

The school Choir sung beautifully, as Professor Flitwick instructed them both at the forefront. Dumbledore thanked him at the end of their melodic tune, settling the slightly buzzing hall filled with students as we applauded their performance. 

"Welcome, Welcome! To another year at Hogwarts! Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast...First, I am pleased to welcome Professor R J Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor!" The Headmaster spoke cheerfully, as we continued to applaud the new Professor.

He rose from his seat embarrassedly, nodding at the crowd. Lupin looked a little worse for wear than I had noticed, previously, on the train. He was a sickly, pale man who looked as though he had not experienced a decent night's sleep in over a decade. His eyes were sunken in, with black circles surrounding the grey iris inside. However, there was something sweet about him...Something comforting and warm...

My gaze soon made its way towards the familiar Professor sat next to him; Snape, as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat, grimacing as he applauded the new teacher momentarily. He could not wait, however, to stop his celebration-something was off. Snape's disdain for this new Professor was extremely noticeable. But why?

"Pansy heard you fainted on the train? Is it true?" I turned in the direction of the voice, my eyes meeting those of Draco's as I nodded, embarrassed. "Yeah, I did." I shrugged, trying to avert my attention back onto Dumbledore. "Are you alright?" Malfoy checked in, diverting my mind, once again. 

I scoffed, "Oh, yeah! I'm fine. Thanks, Draco." I smiled, which he returned with a small nod. "If you need anything..." He trailed away, causing me to chuckle a nod, "Don't worry, you'll be the last person I ask." I finished for him jokingly. He sniffled a laugh, turning back towards the teacher's table as the cheers from the crowd dimmed a little.

"Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs." I scoffed at Dumbledore's statement, before he continued with his speech. "Fortunately, I am delighted to announce, that his place will be taken by none other than our own...Rubeus Hagrid!"

The crowd erupted into the loudest applause of all, at the half-man, half-giant rose from his seat, nearly knocking the entire table over with his brute force. I shrieked and cheered with excitement. He had gotten the position he wanted! Harry and Ron's older, Twin Brothers, whistled from the Gryffindor table. It took a minute or two before Dumbledore was able to calm the cheering crowd down.

"Finally, on a more describing note; At the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban...Until such a time as Sirius Black is captured." I shuddered at the Prisoner's name, Dumbledore eyeing the crowd concernedly. "The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities...A word of caution..." Dumbledore paused momentarily, as I felt the air thicken around the hall at the Headmaster's sudden change in attitude towards that of complete and utter seriousness... 

"Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and everyone of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving..."

I found my eyes trailing towards the Gryffindor table at Dumbledore's warning, my eyes finally finding those of my brother's. He looked as frightened as I felt; once he realized I was watching him, however, he forced a reassuring smile and nod to go with it. I tried to return the favour, but did not feel any more reassured. Not only did we have Sirius Black to worry about, but the Dementors as well. And I thought that this year was going to be easier than last...

"But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times...If one only remembers to turn on the light." I found myself latching onto Dumbledore's words, trying to convince myself that the wise headmaster was always correct. And my eyes soon found those black, coal ones sitting at the teacher's table. And I found myself become slightly overwhelmed with joy...He was right...Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times...Or more so, places and more specifically, people...