Dates. Dates. Dates.

I hadn't spoken to Draco the week preceding the Yule Ball, both of us intentionally avoiding one another and finding other students to spend our time with. I spent many days with Hermione in the library, drafting ways in which we could stop Rita Skeeter from writing her false articles. Ron eventually plucked up the courage to ask her, but only out of sheer desperation and as a last resort, angering myself and Hermione even more. Besides, she had already been invited by a mystery date which she was keeping Ginny and I in the dark about. The Ravenclaw student Harry planned on asking already had a date, due to him asking her at the last minute. Thus far, Hermione was the only one in our group who actually had somebody to go with...

"We don't have to go with someone." I sighed, tossing my book onto the table in the library. Harry scoffed at my side, "Easy for you to say. McGonagall said all the Champions need to have a dance partner." Ron nodded in agreement with my brother, "The only Gryffindors' left, now, are the Pavarti twins. Besides," He turned to face me, "didn't one of the Durmstrang students ask you?"

Harry suddenly shot up to face me, confusion and disbelief evident in his eyes as I realised I hadn't told him about my invitation a few weeks prior. "Wait! What!?"

"Silence!" Madam Pince's voice scolded us from across the library, my brother's attention diverted for a moment as I fumbled in the hopes of changing the subject. "You might be getting me mixed up with Hermione, Ron. Must dash, Professor Snape wants to see me-"

Harry grasped my wrist, preventing me from grabbing my books and leaving, "Stop right there, Em. I know when you're lying. Who asked you?"

I freed my hand from his grasp, waving my arms in blatant dismissal, "Oh! I don't even remember his name, Harry, honestly!" Grasping my books and father's backpack, I turned to leave, "Yeah, well, I'm not too keen on the idea of you going with anybody." He huffed like a spoilt child, folding his arms and sulking in his seat. It was his notion, however, that brought me to an immediate conclusion that would solve all of our problems.

Pausing in the midst of my exit, I pointed an index finger towards him, "Here's a thought; why not go together if we don't have dates?" I watched Harry's face morph into that of disgust, his eyes trailing me in disdain, "Ugh! No thanks, Sis. I'd rather go with Pavarti, thanks."

I rolled my eyes, whacking him in the back of his head with a book, "Not like that, you idiot!"

As if on cue, Padma and Parvati Patill suddenly emerged from one of the aisles, their eyes glancing at the three of us and lighting up on sight.

"Hi Harry!"

"Hi Ron!"

They giggled in unison, linking arms and flirtatiously eyeing my brother and his red-headed friend. Ron squirmed, looking as though he could vomit at they disappeared from the library. I wasn't entirely sure why, as I had always believed the Patil twins to be one amongst the prettiest girls in our year. Boys, I supposed...

Ron leaned across the table, his eyes suddenly desperate, "Harry, if you don't ask your sister...I will."

My brother shuddered at the thought, his eyes ablaze with anger for a brief moment which he fought tirelessly to cover. He was not doing a very good job. "Not happening, Ron. If anybody's taking my sister, it's me..."

***

Christmas morning had arrived!

And to say it was the busiest Christmas morning I had ever spend in the Slytherin Common Room was an understatement; but the bustling students vying to grasp their gifts from under the ebony tree with green and silver decorations was a good excuse to get as far away from Draco Malfoy as possible. I knew I should have come down to open my presents sooner...