A Deal with the Devil

"Emerald Potter, my Lord." Bartemius Crouch Jr's voice introduced, as I laid eyes on the most feeble, weak, barely human Voldemort. Incomparable and unrecognizable to the boy, Tom Marvolo Riddle, that I had met in the Chamber of Secrets. Yet, I understood how terrifying he truly was, even in such a vulnerable state. A sort of laugh emitted from him, ultimately fading to a weak cough as his blood-red eyes landed on mine. He could barely have been much bigger than a foetus, as he sat in the only armchair in the room, a black cloak draped over him. "So, the rat was right."

This statement humoured him, as I found my eyes barely noticing a black ball in the middle of the room, shaking and timid. Peter Pettigrew. Suddenly I found myself wishing I had a knife to hand. But Voldemort's statement took me by slight surprise. He didn't know who I was. Or even that I existed. So Dumbledore's theory was incorrect; that because Tom Riddle knew who I was, so would Voldemort. Or, he was lying.

"I am sorry that you had to be brought here in such an unconventional manner. I was hoping that I would meet you when I meet your brother.

The urge to vomit last night's dinner curdled in my stomach at the thought. He tried to kill Harry once, for a reason. Surely, he would try again. And I knew I was no Gryffindor, but I wouldn't let his life come into any danger, as long as I lived.

"Unfortunately, not all plans are executed quite so accordingly. And what Barty informed me of your Legillimens abilities, I knew he would have to bring you to me sooner rather than later."

A inhaled a sharp breath at this, which he noticed, seemingly bemused by my fear. A small smirk made its way across his lips, "Yes, my dear, I know an awful lot about you."

I felt a sudden course of anger surge through me, standing up taller and glaring at the man, "Well you obviously don't know everything, then. My powers are gone. I can't do magic anymore." Voldemort nodded in retort, his gaze hardening slightly, "I am aware, Emerald. I am also aware that you managed to execute the Fiendfyre curse perfectly-wandless, I might add-and that I have a way of helping you get them back."

I scoffed, folding my arms, "And why would I believe anything you say? Why would I trust you after you killed my parents and tried to kill Harry?"

Voldemort merely stared at me, unblinking and motionless for a moment before deciding to speak, choosing his words very carefully. "Because I can tell you things about your past you wouldn't even dream of. I can help you get your powers back and increase your abilities, tenfold. The people you have surrounded yourself with are not as honest as you may believe. I can give you the truth. What could possibly be more important than that?"

"My brother's life." I answered without hesitation. "I need you to promise me you will spare him. And-Severus. If ever he crosses your path again."

The man, if a man is what I must call him, sitting in the chair only flashed a wicked smile, "My dear, I'm not sure you will wish for me to, once I tell you the truth. But I will honour your request." My heart wavered slightly at this. Severus had told me everything. I knew all that there was to know about his past. What could Voldemort possibly tell me that could drive me to such hatred that I wouldn't wish for his life to be spared?

I understood these people were bad, my life was clearly on the line and if I ever wanted to see Hogwarts and the people in it again, I needed to appear on his side; whether I agreed with his statements or not. If I could get my magical abilities back, I might even have a chance of fighting him and winning. After all, the Bloody Baron said I had the potential to exceed Voldemort. And time worked differently for ghosts, as Moaning Myrtle informed me.

"So what happens now?" I asked, accepting his deal. Watching as he took a deep, relaxed breath and settled into his chair a little more comfortably, his eyes flickered with anticipation. "I will require you to return to Hogwarts, for now, as not to raise suspicion. I will aid you in obtaining your gifts, once more. But I require your loyalty in return."

"And I need yours." I countered, averting my gaze onto the Bartemius Crouch Jr, who was watching our exchange, "You tried to kill me. Why?"

The man's eyes narrowed with malice, "I thought you was gonna' go snitching to Dumbledore. I didn't want to leave any loose ends."

"I'll deal with you later, Barty." Voldemort snarled, his burgundy eyes ablaze with fury as his followed left the room, terrified that he had upset his master. "Wormtail, get out!" And without hesitance, the small ball in the corner of the room sprung to life and fled, closing the door behind him without sparing me a glance. If looks could kill...

It was me and him now.

"What's to stop me from killing you now?" I asked, but the man merely chuckled. "I'll just come right back, my dear."

My brows furrowed at his statement. What could he possibly mean? "But that's a story for another time." He quickly diverted, before I had a chance to question him on the matter.

"How was your time at Wool's orphanage?"

I didn't question how he knew of my upbringing. He appeared to know a lot more about me than I realised. "Dismal." was all I could muster, warranting a scoff to emit from him. "So, it hasn't changed much, then." He stated, amused. This, however, confused me immensely. "You went to Wool's?"

Voldemort nodded, "Indeed. Such a shame that your time there could have been prevented." He tusked, causing my uncertainty to reach its peak, "Prevented? How?" Voldemort's disbelieving eyes met mine, and I shuddered at the very sight of them, "You did not know?"

"I know that Dumbledore sent me there when I was little." I answered, not as confidently as I had hoped. Voldemort scoffed in retort, "No, my dear. You lived with Severus Snape until you were three years old." My heart plummeted into my stomach.

"W-What? How would you know this?" I asked, feeling my eyes begin to sting at the prospect. Voldemort nodded with sadness in his eyes that I wasn't sure was real.

"Wormtail did some snooping, as he does best. After three years stalking the halls of Hogwarts as a rat, you pick up on a few things." He explained, but I didn't want to believe him, I needed to hear the words from Snape, myself. But I didn't wish to argue this point. I just wished to return home.

"When you return to Hogwarts, Barty will be watching you. If he detects any sign of you slipping out of line, you will be brought back here. To me." An indirect threat, I would be unable to confide in anyone.

"Alright. When can I go back?" I asked, folding my arms.

"In a moment...But I need you to do something for me, first." That same glimmer returned to his otherwise dead eyes, causing a sudden chill to traverse my spine. I just needed to get back to Hogwarts. Then I could tell Dumbledore or Severus and Bartemius Crouch Jr can be arrested and Voldemort can be killed. I just needed to get home, no matter what...

"What's that?" I asked, the silence deafening as I waited for his answer. But nothing could have prepared me for the words that escaped his lips next...

"Roll up your left sleeve."