Chapter 21

Neither Vakarian nor Nihlus have reported their findings to Councilor Sparatus, SAM reported. They haven't found anything related to your disappearance.

All dead ends? Aster asked.

Yes, SAM replied. They didn't get anything from Omega.

It's too bad we left some subtle clues for them to find too, SAM continued. They're not really good at their job.

I was hoping they would go see Aria, Aster admitted. I'm really surprised they didn't.

"Are you sure speaking to him is a good idea?" Solana asked as the pair of them walked back to Solana's apartment.

"No," Aster replied. "But I don't know how else he will agree to help me."

"I thought he would help without asking so many questions," Solana commented. "He seems really worked up about the case."

"That's for sure," Aster agreed. "I rather not tell him unless I have to."

"It's for the best," Solana said. "That way if anyone found out, he could deny ever knowing."

"It is safer," Aster stated. "For him and Nihlus."

"Do you think he will call?" she asked.

"He doesn't have a choice," Aster replied. "He needs answers and this is his only chance to get those answers."

"You'll be careful?" Solana asked, her voice full of concern.

"I'll make sure nothing happens to him," Aster promised.

"I'm worried about you too," Solana said. "I want both of you to be careful."

"Yes, mom," Aster replied a bit sarcastically. "We won't get into any trouble."

Solana bumped her in the shoulder and kept walking. Soon afterward, the apartment came into the view and they hurried inside.

"So are we going to talk about it?" Solana teased as she opened the apartment door.

"Talk about what?" Aster asked confused.

"How you know my brother before your mission on Junhix?" she asked grabbing a beer from the fridge and handing her one.

"Ah," Aster said embarrassed. "That's what you want to know?"

"Well," Solana propped. "Tell me!"

"Your brother broke into my apartment," Shepard began. "Then we agreed that he could stay at my place when he was on the Citadel."

"Really?" Solana asked not believing a word she said. "That's all?"

"That was our arrangement," Aster replied.

"You slept with him, didn't you?" Solana asked giving her a hard look. "That's why he was didn't pay any attention to Nyreen."

"Who's Nyreen?" Aster asked, she was curious to know who this mystery woman was.

"My father has wanted Garrus to find a mate since he left his job at C-Sec to join the Spectres," Solana replied. "He's been talking to the other families trying to find someone suitable for him but Garrus has been against any attempt to find someone."

"So Nyreen is only one of the few he's rejected?" Aster asked curiously.

"Everyone but you," Solana teased. "He likes you."

"Solana," Aster said not believing her. "I don't see how your brother could possibly like me and even if he did, there's nothing for me here."

"What about your family?" she asked. "They're here on the Citadel and I'm betting they miss you."