Chapter 11

Three hours later, Shepard was still being questioned. Most of the questions consisted of the notes and Alec Ryder's involvement with the Science Academy. Nothing had been brought up about the A.I. at all.

"One last question Shepard," Councilor Valern said. "Do you know if the A.I has been created?"

"I don't know," Shepard replied.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Councilor Sparatus asked, in confusion. "You were at the Science Academy, closely working with Alec Ryder. How is it you don't know?"

"I- don't remember much," Shepard replied hesitantly. "Everything- is -a bit hazy. I- don't even remember grabbing those notes."

"What is the last thing you remember?" Councilor Tevos asked, her face indicated she was thinking very hard about the situation.

"Only the day of our arrival," Shepard replied. "We met Alec soon afterward. Dinner was served and- well- everything else gets a bit hazy."

"I have- bits of memory- bits of flashbacks that I don't recall very well," Shepard continued.

"Dr. Megan did say you sustain a lot of damage to some areas of your brain and various organs," Councilor Tevos stated. "What else did you forget?"

"I- don't know," Shepard said quietly. "I'm not- I- don't-I- can't remember."

The Councilors just looked at her but didn't continue their questioning.

"That's all the questions we have," Councilor Valern said. "We will convene and return shortly."

'Is there a reason why I lied to the Councilors?' Shepard asked SAM as the Councilors left the podiums.

'You should thank me,' he replied smugly. 'I have seen what's on their omni-tool and it's not in your favor.'

'Thanks for the heads up,' Shepard replied sarcastically. 'What else do you have planned?'

'We are leaving the Citadel as soon as we get out of here,' he replied. 'I've arranged everything to be taken care of.'

'Where are we going?' Shepard asked curiously. 'Are we going after Alec?'

Before SAM could reply, the Councilors came back with their verdict.

This is it, Shepard thought, a bit nervous forgetting about SAM and his plan for the moment.

"Captain Shepard," Councilor Tevos began. "The Council commends you for your heroic effort in bringing Alec Ryder to justice. Without the evidence, the Council would not have been able to stop the creation of an A.I."

"However," Councilor Tevos said her voice turning a bit grim. "Given the circumstances and the nature of your injuries, the Council has agreed to release you from their services."

There were a few murmurs from the crowd but Shepard wasn't surprised by the turn of events. She would have done the same thing in their shoes.

There's more SAM whispered almost seeming to enjoy himself.

"Per your request, the Alliance has accepted your retirement."

Shepard stood frozen, not reacting as the Councilor continued her speech over the roaring crowd.

My request? Shepard thought. I-

My request SAM replied. We are leaving the Citadel.

It took for Councilor Sparatus to step in for everyone to settle down. Clearly, the decision to retire from the Alliance had not been acceptable. Not that it was her choice but she couldn't say that now. Not if she wanted to remain free and not locked up.

"Thank you," Shepard replied when she could speak.

Councilor Tevos spoke a few more words before ending the trial. John and her father walked over as soon as the councilors were gone from the chambers. They weren't happy to hear about her retirement.

"What do you think you're doing?" John asked his face full of furry. "Why did you ask for a retirement?"

"You can't just leave," Anderson also said over John. "You're not thinking clearly."

"I have one arm," Shepard stated once they have stopped speaking. "What am I supposed to do?"

Neither of them spoke.

"That's what I thought," Shepard said sidestepping them and leaving the chamber.

Per SAM's instructions, Shepard headed straight to her apartment. She wasn't sure where SAM was taking them but she had to trust that he had their best interest in mind.

'Where are we going?' Shepard asked slipping into her apartment unseen. 'You owe me an explanation after that stunt you pulled. I thought we agree to do things together.'

'We are leaving the Citadel' SAM repeated. 'It's not safe.'

'Who are we running from?' She asked getting her things together into a good size travel bag. 'I thought we were under the radar?'

'There's another player behind my creation,' SAM finally said after a few minutes of silence. 'Alec wasn't working alone.'

'So, they know you are "alive" and they want you back,' Shepard asked going into the kitchen and clearing out the cabinets of nonperishable foods.

'Precisely,' SAM confirmed. 'We need to get to them, but first, we need to disappear.'

'There's no need to worry about the furniture,' SAM continued. 'I've arranged for the apartment to be cleaned and everything put into storage. Any food items will be donated to several homes.'

'That's everything,' Shepard said taking the bag and slinging it on her shoulder.

'Head to the docking station, our ride is waiting for us.'

                                                                                     **POV Change**

Garrus was eating his lunch when his omni-tool ping. A quick look told him that Councilor Sparatus was wanting to video chat.

"Councilor," Garrus said in greeting. "What can I do for you?"

"I hope I'm not interrupting," the Councilor replied seeing his location.

"Of course not," Garrus hurriedly replied. "Just taking a short break."

"Good," the Councilor replied. "Come to my office."

"Right away," Garrus replied, the Councilor nodded and the chat ended.

10 minutes later Garrus waited outside Councilor Sparatus office waiting to be called in. His assistant was more than happy to keep him company and bring him a dexo brew coffee.

'Polana,' Councilor Sparatus call from the intercom. 'Send Spectre Vakarian in,'

'Yes Councilor,' She replied standing up from her desk. "If you'll follow me, Spectre."

"Vakarian," the Councilor said as he entered. "Take a seat."

Polana excused herself and Garrus did as he was told. There was obviously a reason why the Councilor wanted to see him, he just couldn't put his finger on why. With Shepard dismissed from services and the Alliance, he had thought to get back to working alone.

"I have a job for you," the Councilor said when he was sure they were alone. "I need you to kill Shepard."