Chapter 35

"ETA 20 minutes," Serus announced over the intercom.

Garrus was surprised to hear that since the given coordinates seemed farther when he took a look at them. He sent a quick message to Serus and asked him to confirm the coordinates once again.

"Spectre, I was surprised too," Serus said. "These coordinates seemed farther away than they were."

"Alright," Garrus replied. "Send a message to Chellick and Vaia. Tell them to be ready."

Garrus headed toward the shuttle bay where Chellick and Vaia had everything already ready for the mission.

"I don't know what we'll find," Garrus said also gathering his weapons. "Make sure you're ready for whatever is out there."

"Yes, sir," Chellick and Vaia said in union.

"Docking in 3, 2, 1," Serus called out over the intercom.

"Move out," Garrus said as the docking bay door opened.

Garrus activated his helmet and inputted the coordinates he was given. He hoped it would lead them to the source of the accounts. The three of them made their way toward the direction of the signal.

"The source is about 5 kilometers in the direction we are heading," Garrus said taking a look around them.

"My scans indicate the source is on the surface," Chellick commented. "Well, whatever is making the signal at least."

"Sir, there's no other life form in sight," Vaia said. "This planet is dead except us."

"Stay alert," Garrus replied. "We don't know what we could be up against."

The three of them continued toward their destination. As they got closer, the trio started noticing the changes in the landscape. The ground was leveling out and the dirt around them was becoming studier. The closer they got to the signal, the changes were more apparent. Crates of all sizes littered the ground and different sizes of machinery were scattered all around as well. Some were empty while others were loaded with crates and other items.

In the center of it all stood a solitary building. There was nothing wrong with this building except for what was painted on its surface.

"That's a Cerberus insignia," Chellick said in surprise. "What's it doing here?"

"Everyone back to the ship!" Garrus ordered. "Serus, prepare for take-off."

"Roger that Spectre," Serus replied.

"What's Cerberus doing here so close to the Citadel?" Vaia asked as they headed back toward the ship.

The three of them hurried back and barely made it on before Serus took off.

"Sir," Serus said as Garrus joined him on the bridge. "What's going on?"

"Cerberus," Garrus replied. "Head back to the Citadel."

"We'll be there shortly," Serus replied. "Entering the mass relay in 3, 2, 1."

Garrus felt the ship lured forward and waited for the THS Talek'ahr to come out near the Citadel.

"Is there any chatter on the comms?" Garrus asked.

"Nothing so far," Serus replied as the ship went out of hyperspace. "I'll try the Citadel Tower."

"Citadel Tower this THS Talek'ahr, requesting permission to dock."

"No answer," Serus said after a few minutes of silence.

"Try the other channels," Garrus instructed. "There might be someone listening on the emergency channels."

"This is the THS Talek'ahr," Serus said into his headset. "Is anyone receiving me?"