Chapter 22

The next morning Aster was up early looking through all the data SAM had collected about the krogan spying on the apartment. It wasn't much since the krogan had no reason or rhyme as to why he was spying on the place. SAM couldn't even find the identity of the krogan that was doing the spying which surprised her.

Isn't there anything on him? Aster asked once more. A name?

There is nothing on the omni-tool, SAM replied. I can tell that it's new. Doesn't have the usual wear and tear of a constantly used omni-tool.

So the krogan just bought an omni-tool just for the purpose of spying on us?

Seems that way, SAM replied.

Can you put a tracer on it? Aster asked, hoping that whoever it was would reveal themselves sooner rather than later.

The krogan turns off as soon as he's out of sight of the apartment, SAM replied his tone indicating the number of times he had answered the same question.

SAM could tell that Aster was annoyed that someone could have found out about her and was tracking her.

We can try and follow him instead, SAM offered.

We'll have to plan it, Aster replied. I'll have to tell Solana about it, her cooperation would help us greatly.

She should be getting up soon, SAM replied.

Tell her not to get up, Aster said instead. I've noticed that he leaves as soon he sees movement, I want to see what the krogan does when he doesn't see any lights turn on.

I've sent her a message, SAM said. She's been wondering when we would do something about that krogan.

Today's that day, Aster thought to herself.

Sure enough, as Aster continued to watch the krogan, his behavior changed. This time he didn't look like he was leaving, he looked concerned.

This is different, SAM commented also noticing the krogan's behavior. I wonder what he's going to do.

It didn't take long for the krogan to leave his post and head toward the apartment. Aster never thought that the krogan would actually come and take a look inside.

There's no doubt about it, SAM continued. The krogan is on his way up here.

Tell Solana that we are about to have company. We've got to make sure he doesn't leave, Aster said as she grabbed her weapon and headed toward the door.

She set up behind the kitchen counter and waited. It wasn't long before Aster heard heavy footsteps coming down the hall. Sometimes it seemed like the apartment wall had paper-thin walls and you could hear everything.

Aster wasn't 100% confident that the two of them could take out a krogan without a fight but they might just surprise him enough to get the jump on him. Aster just wanted to figure out who the krogan was and what he wanted. He had to have a reason for watching the apartment.

As soon as the door opened, Aster hit the trespasser with a Pull and several Stasis for immobilization. Aster rushed over and was about to fire when she heard the trespasser cry out.

"Shepard, it's me!"

Aster froze for a moment, she recognized the voice from somewhere. Just then Solana also rushed out of her room, a pistol between her two hands ready to shoot.

"Who are you?" Aster asked, pistol still pointed.

"Shepard, it's Wrex," the krogan said as the Stasis began to fade. "It's Wrex."

Aster lowered her pistol with Solana following suit.

"I'm not here to fight," Wrex continued standing up. "I just wanted to make sure no one was dead."

"So you're the one who has been watching the place, huh?" Solana asked walking over to turn on the lights to the living room. "What do you want from us?"

"To make sure Shepard stays alive," Wrex replied looking straight at Aster.

"I can tell that it's you," Wrex continued when Aster didn't reply. "That disguise won't help you, I know it's you."

There's no point in hiding it now, SAM commented.

Aster gave Solana a quick glance and could tell that she was also in agreeance with letting the krogan in on their secret since he already knew. How he knew was still a mystery, a mystery that Aster was going to figure out.

"What are you doing here?" Aster asked. "How did you know it was me?"

"I've known it was you since I saw you land on the Citadel," Wrex replied. "The disguise helped since I didn't recognize you at first but after you went to speak to that turian Spectre I knew."

A gut instinct, SAM happily interjected. Humans get them all the time.

Thanks SAM, Aster replied.

"Since I arrived you've been watching this place?" Aster asked wanting to confirm Solana hadn't been the target.

"Only since you arrive," Wrex replied. "Didn't think you were friends with a turian."

"She has a lot of turian friends," Solana commented going to grab a chair to sit on. "You're lucky today's my day off."

"Why are you watching the apartment?" Aster asked taking a seat on one of the sofas. "When you confirmed it was me, what made you stick around?"

"Rumors," Wrex replied. "Someone's looking for information on Shepard."

"There's a lot of speculation but since there hasn't been any new information most of the bounty hunters haven't been interested. I've been on the lookout just to be on the safe side."

I wonder who started the rumor, Aster thought after listening to Wrex's information. The turians?

I wouldn't put it past them, SAM replied. They are the likely suspect; especially with everything going on.

It's hard not to put the blame on them that's for sure.

"Where did the rumor come from?" Solana asked. "I heard that rumor months ago but it's not enough to warrant bounty hunters to come of her."

"Heard it from the Shadow Broker's informants," Wrex said. "I asked several times about any new information but it never changed. Couldn't pinpoint who first started it."

"I'm assuming no one knows what you've learned?" Solana asked. "No one must know."

"I'm not stupid," Wrex replied growling. "Shepard and I go way back."

"Just make sure no one finds out," Aster said. "There's too much we don't know, it's best if we keep quiet about it until we figure out what we are up against."

"You mean who we are up against," Wrex commented.

"Wrex," Aster said making up a quick plan in her head until Garrus decided to help them. "Keep an ear out for any new information. I want to know if this rumor grows or if anything else gets out."

"I'll do that," Wrex replied. "I'll keep an eye out on this place as well until we know more."

"In the meantime, we need to get my brother to help us," Solana commented. "I don't see any other way for us to do this without his help."

"Yeah," Aster replied. "Those Spectre resources would come in handy."