𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎: 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐃𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐑

"You're my big sister, I'd do anything for you..."

HELL WAS NOTHING LIKE ERIS LEWIS IMAGINED.  Hell looked like a large football field packed with as many people as you would find at a Beyoncé concert.

    There was no noise, no light like something tragic had just happened. It was just filled with empty souls whispering around quietly like they were waiting for something big to happen.

The black grass had been trampled by eons of dead feet. A warm, moist wind blew like the breath of a swamp. Black tree grew in clumps.

    The cavern ceiling was so high above them it might've been a bank of storm clouds, except for the stalactites, which glowed faint gray and looked wickedly pointed.

    They  tried to blend into the crowd, keeping an eye out for security ghouls.

    The dead spirits all look slightly angry or confused. They will come up to you and speak, but their voices sound like chatter, like bats twittering. Once they realize you can't understand them, they frown and move away. Though there were a few that came up specifically to Eris simply to bow to her.

    They crept along, following the line of new arrivals that snaked from the main gates toward a black-tented pavilion with a banner that read:

JUDGMENTS FOR ELYSIUM AND ETERNAL DAMNATION Welcome, Newly Deceased!

    Out the back of the tent came two much smaller lines.

    To the left, spirits flanked by security ghouls were marched down a rocky path toward the Fields of Punishment, which glowed and smoked in the distance, a vast, cracked wasteland with rivers of lava and minefields and miles of barbed wire separating the different torture areas. Out of the corner of Eris' eye she could see people being forced to run naked through cactus patches or listen to opera music.

The line coming from the right side of the judgment pavilion was much better. This one led down toward a small valley surrounded by walls—a gated community, which seemed to be the only happy part of the Underworld. Beyond the security gate were neighborhoods of beautiful houses from every time period in history, Roman villas and medieval castles and Victorian mansions. Silver and gold flowers bloomed on the lawns. The grass rippled in rainbow colors.  She could hear laughter and smell barbecue cooking.

   Elysium.

She hoped Willow was there. She still didn't understand why she still hasn't seen her sister but tried not to worry about it until after the quest.

In the middle of that valley was a glittering blue lake, with three small islands like a vacation resort in the Bahamas. The Isles of the Blest, for people who had chosen to be reborn three times, and three times achieved Elysium.