𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓: 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐔𝐍𝐆𝐎𝐃𝐋𝐘 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐌𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋

"Great things are ahead of you, Essence Lewis. The UnGodly Hour must prevail."

THEY ONLY MADE IT A COUPLE OF FEET INSIDE BEFORE THEY GOT LOST.

It looked nothing like the tunnel Eris remembered before. Now it was round like a sewer, constructed of red brick with iron-barred portholes every ten feet.

She kept her flashlight on as they walked through the tunnels, Tyson holding onto her other hand. She followed Annabeth with the others more eager than ever to find Nico.

The faster she found Nico the faster she could get him home. She didn't care if she had to drag him by the kicking and screaming. He was going home. End of story.

Annabeth came up with the idea they should stick to following the left wall. "If we keep one hand on the left wall and follow it," she said, "we should be able to find our way out again by reversing course."

Unfortunately, as soon as she said that, the left wall disappeared. They found themselves in the middle of a circular chamber with eight tunnels leading out, and no idea how they'd gotten there.

"Um, which way did we come in?" Grover said nervously.

"Just turn around," Annabeth said.

As expected every turn lead them into a different tunnel. It was a nonstop puzzle.

"Left walls are mean," Tyson said. "Which way now?"

Annabeth swept her flashlight beam over the archways of the eight tunnels. "That way," she said.

"How do you know?" Percy asked.

"Deductive reasoning."

"So...you're guessing."

"Just come on," she said.

The tunnel she'd chosen narrowed quickly. The walls turned to gray cement, and the ceiling got so low that pretty soon they were hunching over. Tyson was forced to crawl.

Grover's hyperventilating was the loudest noise in the maze. "I can't stand it anymore," he whispered. "Are we there yet?"

"We've been down here maybe five minutes," Annabeth told him.