Chapter twenty-eight

(Louis' POV)

Harry and I sit in front of his father's desk in anticipation. For the first thirty seconds or so, he doesn't say anything. He just stares at us, and I'm not going to lie, it makes me uncomfortable. I wonder what he knows? Is it about us dating? Maybe he found out.

Perhaps Jenna told him. Or it could be about Harry's grades, but he promised me that he was trying to do better at school. Questions buzz through my heads like bees, overwhelming me with possible scenarios.

His office is very professional. The large desk is topped with papers and empty Starbucks cups. His glasses are lowered on the bridge of his nose so he can look directly at us. He's frightening and I feel so awkward. He's not saying anything, he's just staring.

"I think you both know why I wanted to talk to you," Mr. Styles finally speaks up. Harry and I both glance at each other nervously.

"No . . ." Harry says slowly.

"You don't know?" his father asks. We both shake our heads.

"No, sir." I squeak, fear filling my voice.

Mr. Styles frowns, "Oh, well I got a call yesterday from your coach, Dave. He asked me if you were feeling well enough to come to the game this Friday. I asked what he meant, and he said that you broke your hand and have missed the past few practices and games." he says, a hint of confusion in his voice. He doesn't seem angry, just confused.

Harry clears his throat, "Yeah, well I didn't know I had to mention it to you. You didn't care about football before." he shrugs.

"I see," his father nods. He looks at Harry and frowns, "and then today I got a call from the damn principal and you know what he told me? He told me that you were in the musical. What more secrets have you been keeping from me, Harry!?" he asks, raising his voice. Blue veins stick out from his neck and his face turns bright red. It's amazing how he can turn from completely calm to furious in a few seconds.

I look over and Harry appears terrified. I wonder if his father always acts this way. If so, he could be classified as verbally abusive or something. His voice just makes me feel threatened.

"I-I just forgot to tell you . . ." Harry replies nervously.

"You forgot? Oh, and I guess you also forgot to tell me that you got in a fight at school the other day with Zayn!?" his father questions, raising his voice again.

"Dad, it wasn't a fight, it was just an argument." Harry explains, trying to calm his father down.

"Yeah, a fight about Louis. At least, that's what your principal told me." he asks, glaring at me. He spit out my name like it was poison. He hates me.

"Sir-" I start to say, trying to defend myself.

"It's not Lou's fault, dad. Don't blame him. The argument was completely my fault. I was just sticking up for him because Zayn was being a prick." Harry tries to explain. I'm flattered that he's defending me, but I can do it myself.

"Ever since you met Louis you've been lying to your mother and I. Do you know how upset that makes us?" Harry's father asks, raising his voice.

"It's not Louis' fault, dad, I swear!" Harry whines.

"Louis is nothing but trouble, as far as I'm concerned." he says, crossing his arms over his chest. He shoots me a death glare that makes my heart break. I can't believe he's blaming me like this.

"He's not trouble! He's helping me raise my grades, remember?" Harry asks.

"I don't care. You've been keeping secrets from me for the past few weeks. Ever since you met Louis you've been a rotten dirty liar!" his father accuses, his face turning bright red.